Turbo blanket vs heat shield

Penglii

Well then... DIY heat shield attempt #1 was not a success. At least I'm only out like $1.50 from this atttempt.

I'm on the right track, but I'm gonna need a bigger metal bowl/pot... and to mock it up in cardboard or something first.

Freehand dremeling is not gonna suffice here. :lol:

So I guess I may or may not be able to get a heat shield made this week...

you should have a fan there already. no need to remove the condenser, just take some needle nose pliers and remove the fins. it takes a few hours but worth it because its the single best way to increase airflow to the turbo next to dropping the FAN 2 ON (AC OFF) scalar to 160 degrees F. or a combo of the two would be keeping you frosty.

I had radiator out today and never noticed the fan in front of condensor. Does that fan only come on when a/c is running? Could I just wire a on/off switch to that fan? Yes pulling the fins out looks like a job to do with a 6 pack of beer on hand.

No, I think I've decided I don't want to go the turbo blanket route... I've been pretty sold on the idea that heat shielding is the way to go.

I think I may wrap my charge pipes in this stuff though...

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010394-Reflect-A-GOLD-Tape-Roll/dp/B0039Z5TUY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1ABWBZ6QEJXC3&coliid=I2A2UGPX71HFL8

Not gonna happen right away though... kinda low on funds right now. Probably gonna happen within a month though.

In the meantime I'm just gonna do what I can to keep heat sensitive bits protected from the extreme heat... obsessively lowering my air intake charge temps can wait a few weeks. :lol:

to help stay focused; you already have the lowering intake air temps covered. what you need now is eliminating heat soak.

there is a difference. you have stripped the paint from the IC. we have discussed ac fin removal, and fan 2 temp settings.

tape is a good idea. but the look of it gets old. its nice just as you do it but I have a pic of it a few thousand miles later I will post. shields are removable if you decide you hate the look later. tape requires solvents and refinishing to go back to stock look. where as, if you decide you don't want the heat shield, you can simply toss it.

This all makes sense.

Good call mentioning the difference between air cooling and heat soak... I suppose they are separate issues.

I suppose TGP charge pipes aren't exactly easy to come by, so it seems smart to consider that angle.

and this is an aluminum heat shield a friend of mine, Wade gave me. I guess its a toyota part for something.

And you have that covering the lower charge pipe, where it's closest to the manifold?

Just sort of wedged in there?

Edit: I see the other pic now... that is clever.

I had radiator out today and never noticed the fan in front of condensor. Does that fan only come on when a/c is running? Could I just wire a on/off switch to that fan? Yes pulling the fins out looks like a job to do with a 6 pack of beer on hand.

you figured that out correctly, my friend!

the fan comes on ONLY when you command it. with chip only. :thumbsup: hey, be VERY careful you do not poke the tubes though with the needle nose! grab like 5 fins and twist. then repeat. working AC, or repairable ac, do like 4 fins and repeat. be somewhat sober for this. :lol: