Removing Rear Speaker from 91 Convertible

rawdeal91vert

Morning all, I have to replace all four factory speaker in my car. I found how to remove the dash and get to the fronts, but I cannot see how to get into the rear side panels. The grills look like they pop off, but I am afraid of cracking the bezel if I try. Is it as simple as popping those off or is there another way to get into those side panels?

What ever you do, don't try to just pop off the speaker grills. You have to take the side panel out of the car. I made the mistake of trying to pop mine off and I broke them. But, I didn't care because I put in Rockford Fosgate Speakers and used the grills for the new speakers. Here is what I did:

post-7349-143689107111_thumb.jpg

post-7349-143689107128_thumb.jpg

post-7349-143689107141_thumb.jpg

I see. My interior is near showroom and I want to maintain the originality. Do you know how to get to the rear side panels out? It appears the speakers mount from the inside on the side panel.

It is really easy to do. But, 6.5" Fosgate speakers do not fit in the rear location without cutting them. Crutfield said they would fit, but I had to cut them to fit, that is why there is all that white stuff around my speaker grill.

If I find how to tear the rear panels out I will post it for you.

I upgraded all the speakers on my '92 Convertible about 10 years ago and kept the original look. IIRC, the back speaker covers are secured with velcro and pop right off. I don't remember having to remove the rear side panels for access. I'm going to look at the car tonight.

My 93 Convertible's rear speakers have the grill cover that is velcroed on & then there are 4 screws under that to remove/replace the speakers.

It is your call bro to try and pop off the speaker covers. Mine were not velcroed on, mine were screwed in from behind. If I knew people were going to ask how to remove them I would have kept them to show you how I broke them off. Just be careful, if they are velcroed on they will come off pretty effortlessly. But, if you pull and they are not coming off with some force don't force them! Or you will break them.

To clarify, the little "grill" is velcroed in, but the frame is what is screwed in & you can remove the speakers without removing the side panels. I think they changed speakers for the 94-95 & the 91-93 should be the same. The 93 has a square speaker cover, does the 94 have a round speaker cover?

Edited by Geoff97Cutlass

UPDATE.

Crutchfield does not know dooky about this car. The bracket they sent does not fit correctly. 6.5 Kenwoods actually fit with a little help using the speed clips included and the orginal grills. Using the braket makes the grill stick out 1/8 of inch. Not real pretty. Does sound a whole lot better!

No I did not have to do any cutting. They fit although just barely. The Scochce bracket that was sent with the speakers is too thick. I used it on one side but the grill does not flush to the panel. A 6.75 speaker might actually have fit better. I am having the new Kenwood HU install as I type!:dance:

• 2 weeks later...

I have not done the front yet. The entire dash has to come out and I have not had the time to dedicate to it. It does not look to difficult, but care needs to taken. If I screw up the dash replacing will be expensive. The head unit sticks out about an 1 1/2" out the dash.

post-7554-143689109028_thumb.jpg

On another note. Don't buy and AXXESS brand Steering Wheel Control, buy a PAC Brand. Installers like the PAC better. I will post photos of dash removal when I start the project.

post-7554-14368910901_thumb.jpg