1991 Cutlass Keeping SWRC with After Market Radio Possible?

rawdeal91vert

Hello All. Is it possible to install an adaptor that allows use of the Steering Wheel Controls with an aftermarket radio in a 1991 Cutlas Convertible. The old Delco is cool but the sound stinks and there is no CD. And the casette is broken so I cant use it as an aux adaptor.

i just went through this.

depending on the aftermarket deck you are using....if the deck you are using comes with a wireless remote....you will need a PAC SWI-x adapter. and you have to have the HU's original remote to program the PAC device....thats what i had to do and i bought mine off ebay for 32 bucks shipped. The PAC device will command the HU to do anything that you could do with the original remote plus can be programmed for other keyed functions. There is an IR blaster that must be mounted within line of sight of the HU....I used the screw hole in the plastice bezel surround so i didnt have to drill a another permenent hole.

On the other hand...if your new HU is equipped with a wired remote...there is another PAC device that plugs into the rear of the compatible deck and provides SWC control. There are some functions that this device cannot handle because it is hardwired and not programmable

And......if your new head unit does not come equiped with remote functionality....you're SOL.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!! The Axxsess brand SWC universal module manufactured by Metra WILL NOT WORK on a 1991-1992 Cutlass Supreme. It is compatible with 1994 and up. Crutchfield was very good about sending the PAC unit out the same day as a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE the PAC-RC unit is installed and working.:dance: It was no small feat. The tech that installed had to call an engineer he knew at PAC to get the remote to take the programing. It is installed and working.

Now has anyone ever removed the sterring wheel buttons and cleaned the contacts underneath? The volume is a tad sticky all the others work perfect.

• 3 years later...

Can I put an am fm cassette cd radio out of a 2000 Bonneville in my 1993 cutlass convertible?

probably won't plug in, might work if you repin it

The Bonneville uses the newer GM style harness. Looks like this.

090d5bc2-8adc-404c-b662-a3c783dbdb17_1.2

IN order to use this style of harness, you're going to need a reverse adapter for it. Either that or cut the harness out of a donor car (at a junkyard preferably).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23000317?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227016994796&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40839178952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=61838836553&veh=sem

That's the link to the part number for the reverse harness. You'll also need the wiring harness that would allow you to adapt the connector to an aftermarket radio. Looks like this.

m9KA7bWw1V8RX65skM9k-9w.jpg

The idea would be to clip in the proper radio harness adapter to the stock harness in the 93 and use the reverse harness in the radio. Then just color match them. You know, yellow to yellow, black to black, etc.

Your major concerns would be the "ears" on the side of the radio that would screw in to the dash (the cutlass had a bracket under the radio that would screw it in to the dash). You would also have to make sure it's 1.5 and not 2DIN. IF it's 2DIN it won't fit in the dash...