Interchangeable Transmissions? Looking for a compatible replacement

ZeroDCX

Hey guys. I tried searching, but to no avail found my answer. I have a 92' Regal 3800 Series I with a busted transmission... Last I've read, although the 4T60-E transmissions are a dime a dozen, they have FDRs and different electronics when it comes to mating them with a specific car/engine. I'm attempting to search for a 4T60-E transmission to replace it, but I'm not sure of the years that I can safely interchange with between w-bodies. Does anyone know which years/cars would be compatible to my car model?

P ----------

CUTLASS 89 A.T.; (TH440), 6-191 (3.1L)

CUTLASS 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

CUTLASS 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

CUTLASS 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

GRAND PRIX 89-90 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 91-92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

REGAL 89-91 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

REGAL 92 A.T.

Are a direct bolt in.

P ----------

CUTLASS 89 A.T.; (TH440), 6-191 (3.1L)

CUTLASS 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

CUTLASS 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

CUTLASS 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

GRAND PRIX 89-90 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 91-92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

REGAL 89-91 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

REGAL 92 A.T.

Are a direct bolt in.

that seems incorrect? wouldn't it be from a 3800 car only?

I'm swapping 3800 trans and using trans that came out of DOHC, because it is stronger

276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_1280x1024.jpg

essentially, this makes no sense. Although there are minor changes between the two transmission, they have vastly different gear ratios, but there would not be a difference in strength......

I thought I read somewhere that the 4t60e DOHC trans was stronger. Mmm... Guess not. I called junk yard for interchange transmission info. They said the 95 and 96 4t60E's are not interchangeable. They said they would print out copy of 4t60e interchanges. I can post that when I get it, might be what you already listed though. ;(

:think:

usually, you can search car-part.com and come up with some idea of an interchange.

also: 92 regal 3800 = 4T60, not 4T60E.

Not doubting you or anything, but are you sure that it's not a 4T60-E? GM started using them in 1991 and up, replacing the 440T4/4T60 if memory serves me right. I'll check again though. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Edit: I just jacked it up and took a peek. Sure enough the bottom pan says 4T60. As much as I've changed the transmission filter, fluid and gasket I should have known. Thanks again. So the list posted by ManicMechanic still stands then? Does anyone know of the differences between 4T60 transmissions in w-bodies aka gear ratios between, Regals, Luminas, GPs and Cutlass Supremes and how much do rebuilds for these transmissions normally run? (I'm thinking about just rebuilding it myself). Thanks again guys!

Edited by ZeroDCX

well, yeah, and IIRC, everything other than the 91-93 3.4 and 93 3.1 and 3.8 4T60Es started off with the PWM model that the W's got with the 3100 and 94-up 3.4/3800s.... :lol:

I guess I thought if the vehicle came with 4t60E trans, any 4t60e trans would work. Besides gear ratios. Is it electronics that makes these not work? I thought 94 and 96 should be able to swap.

just like the 282s, 4T60Es have external differences which makes swapping between different platforms a pain.

IIRC = if i remember correctly

PWM = pulse width modulation. in this instance, referring to the solenoid in the valve body used to control the line pressure that the TCC solenoid sees to adjust lockup speed. with early 4T60E and 4T60, this was done via the vacuum modulator.

so if it came out of similar W body platform, it would work better than changing types?

This TCC lock up was done by vacuum moduator? This is the modulator that is on the front of the 4t60e that is relatively large with vauum line coming off. Was this replaced by anything else later? Or will all 4t60e's have such part on front of trans?

TCC lockup rate(and therefore feel) was controlled by the vacuum modulator with the 91-93 3.4, and 93 3.1/3.8 4T60E, all of the others used a TCC PWM solenoid instead.

I was looking at few transmission and picked up the 96. Looks like the only physical difference i could see was the PRNDL switch. The 96 had switch and engine harness plugged into it. The older 4t60e PRNDL switch had a pigtail harness hard wired into the switch. Looks if switched PRNDL was changed , should work.

I was looking at few transmission and picked up the 96. Looks like the only physical difference i could see was the PRNDL switch. The 96 had switch and engine harness plugged into it. The older 4t60e PRNDL switch had a pigtail harness hard wired into the switch. Looks if switched PRNDL was changed , should work.

What vehicle did you pull the transmission from? Sure that isn't the 4T65-E 96'-up OBDII cars got those with a few exceptions.

FAIL!!!! INTERNAL WIRING DIFFERENCE. WRONG TRANSMISSION MODEL. INCOMPATIBLE.

You need to replace a 4t60(non-E) with a proper 4t60(non-E) You car will NOT BE OPERABLE with the transmission you have choosen, which is a 4t60E

Edited by Crazy K

I don't know if that one will work specifically but since you're doing the swap, I am assuming you're changing wiring harness, PCM, ect. If so, you can possibly use it but you'll need a tune on the PCM as well

So I just purchased a 4T60/440-T4 from a 89' Buick Regal with 37K w/ 90 day warranty. Hopefully I run into no other issues after installation. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the tcc clutch on non-Pwm trannies used a dedicated fluid accumulator piston located on the channel plate to "soften the blow". Pwm mimicked this . Just sayin... :)

i'm not the greatest with auto trans fluid diagrams. :lol:

from the looks of it, the converter clutch regulator as used in the 4T60s uses the TV for pressure determination(and with the converter clutch accumulator volume determing apply speed), not the vacuum modulator?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I swapped the PRNDL switch. You mentioned that the internal wiring wont work with the swap. I am using 96 Regal harness with the 95 Trans... I'm planning on fixing the C100 connector so I can try to get this started this weekend. I'm lucky enough to have picked up the 96 transmission also just incase the 95 wont work... I know you all mentioned that you don't think it would work, however, i'm hoping Lady Luck is with me. I will have more information in another week. (Traveling for work over next couple weeks)