92 GP Crosslace rims

Johnnystats

Hey Everyone -

I'm contemplating on whether or not to get my 92 GP rims refinished. They are the Richard Petty edition rims in blue. The reason that I want to get them refinished is because the crosslace part is in pretty bad shape. The painted part is fine, however Have a couple of questions - The place that would refinish the rims would do the entire rim - including the painted parts for the same price.

Does anyone know if the inner part of the wheel is the exact same color as the exterior of the car? The color on the window sticker is Lt Blue Metallic (9614) however all of the aftermarket paint places say that 9614 is Neon Blue Metallic.

When they refinish the rim - is the outer lip the same finish as the crosslaces? I just want to make sure they stay close to original as possible - so I want to make sure that they are doing the right thing. I really am not to savvy on this - so any advice would be great.

I just bought the car and pics will come soon :)

Thanks everyone!

This is what the lip of the rim should look like. I refinished my rims myself. I'm currently waiting for the center caps to come back from paint and then put decals on them.

5fd20854.jpg

I degreased my wheels with a good degreaser. Scrubbed them clean with a brush. I used a heavy rubbing compound on the whole wheel. I got some paint stripped and stripped all the old clear cost off the lip. Then I polished the lips out.

I then sanded the lip. Then worked my way up to 2000 set sand. I used some aluminum polish on the lip to give it that nice deep shine.

Currently have the center caps off and having them powder coated so I can put on my new decals.

those have a machined finish over the blue. the clear may be coming off the lip and the machined surface so if you stripped the whole wheel you would have to find a way to reapply the base coat blue without getting it on the machined surface. I don't see it being that easy to mask off all the machined surface unless you have a trick for it like vaseline or something.

Yeah, refinishing those wheels is going to be labor intensive because of where you Don't want the paint. When I did my wheels I too considered doing them in the *Petty* finish, but that was a little tooooo intensive.

This is what a good *Petty* wheel should look like.

*Nate...get rid of those hammer on wheel weights buddy, they look horrible....get some stickies.....lol*

PettywheelforGP.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

Hey Everyone -

I'm contemplating on whether or not to get my 92 GP rims refinished. They are the Richard Petty edition rims in blue. The reason that I want to get them refinished is because the crosslace part is in pretty bad shape. The painted part is fine, however Have a couple of questions - The place that would refinish the rims would do the entire rim - including the painted parts for the same price.

Does anyone know if the inner part of the wheel is the exact same color as the exterior of the car? The color on the window sticker is Lt Blue Metallic (9614) however all of the aftermarket paint places say that 9614 is Neon Blue Metallic.

When they refinish the rim - is the outer lip the same finish as the crosslaces? I just want to make sure they stay close to original as possible - so I want to make sure that they are doing the right thing. I really am not to savvy on this - so any advice would be great.

I just bought the car and pics will come soon :)

Thanks everyone!

This might help only serve to "overcomplicate things" but depending on the price to refinish the wheels, you might be better off buying a sliver set getting them refinished as RPE's and then selling the RPE's . . . . just fair warning they might not be so easy to re-sell, specialized market.

Edited by Breakdown

Thanks everyone for their input. Actually, I am bringing the wheels to a wheel refinisher here in New Jersey and they are going to redo the entire wheel - including the painted part - he just ordered the paint for the center areas. It will cost $125 per rim plus $55 for the paint. I was actually thinking the same thing - about getting a silver set and having them refinished - but by the time I find a set, have them sent to me, then refinished probably won't be cost effective. I'm just hoping that the rims come out just like they did when they were new.

Thanks everyone for their input. Actually, I am bringing the wheels to a wheel refinisher here in New Jersey and they are going to redo the entire wheel - including the painted part - he just ordered the paint for the center areas. It will cost $125 per rim plus $55 for the paint. I was actually thinking the same thing - about getting a silver set and having them refinished - but by the time I find a set, have them sent to me, then refinished probably won't be cost effective. I'm just hoping that the rims come out just like they did when they were new.

$555 to REFINISH the wheels? Woof. You've got way more money than I do.

$555 to REFINISH the wheels? Woof. You've got way more money than I do.

I was quoted (probably in a lower cost geography) $100 a rim to refinish and $100 extra to add some gold that was missing.

Considering that mine were missing a set, this is pretty much a par for the course price. Sucks, but if you want it enough you gotta pay.

I got quoted 100 bucks per rim on the cutty and those are way less labor intensive than the GP x laces to do. Then throw in a RPE color scheme and the price goes up.

actually might be easy to mask off the lace part. just use an exacto knife!

I would paint them for that price too! make sure they give you a warranty on the clear. it likes to peel off.

Thanks everyone -

The guy said that it would be best just to do the entire rim including the painted part. Regardless, the price would be $125 per wheel. The only thing extra I am paying for is the paint. I just hope that when they are finished with them, that they look just like they did when new. Is there anything I should tell them to do - like it appears that the lip is polished and the laces aren't - unless that's just the way they look now since they are oxidized.

After I started working on my rims. I found out the lip had a clear cost on it. I completely removed it and just polished out the aluminum and the results were great. Since this car isnt driven in rain or snow it should last a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really helping here but lemme just say I'm so jealous of you guys. I love xlaces. Very nice looking rims you have here. I gotta get a 1st gen w GP, black, get some xlaces and have the whole rim powdercoated black. Then wrapped in white letter bf goodrich tires, mmmmm. Oh by the way, maybe one of you guys could help. My brother had his front rim for his sport bike (3 spokes) powdercoated black from a local guy for $20. The guy did an amazing job. Would a GP xlace rim be similar in price? It's about the same size.