3800 S/C guys, how are you monitoring KR?

iTurbo

Was wondering how you guys are monitoring KR on the S/C 3800. A while back, I had bought a PLX Kiwi Wifi and an app called DashCommand to use on a bunch of cars I work locally. Well it turns out that I can monitor engine timing advance, I cannot however get a reading on the amount of KR happening. So I emailed ZZP about the PLX DM-100 multigauge and they said it will not do it either, nor do they know of an iOS app that will allow for monitoring KR.

So what to do now....looking like the Aeroforce scan gauge may be the way to go but I'd like to know how you guys are doing it before spending any more money.

Well this is getting a little frustrating. Seems the more I research it, the more I feel like I should just buy HPTuners and be done with it.

I use a scan tool in the car while I'm driving. I have an OTC 4000 enhanced. It gives me all the engine/trans info I need. I got it used for $300 with all the chips to scan 79-2005 and it was thousands of dollars new. It is just outdated now but still does a good job.

get a wideband.

A wideband will do nothing for KR, that's used for tuning afr's. I've used HP Tuners and it's not too difficult to use once you've got the correct histogram set up. You can monitor each cell, then pull timing from those cells that have KR until it's not pulling timing anymore.

supposedly, if you're watching spark advance and see a noticable and otherwise unexplained drop that filters out, that's an indicator of KR.

if you were running a LS1, you could view it in tunerpro with an ELM cable, might work for 3800 stuff as well, but IDK.

I've always just used my Powrtuner. Unfortunately I've been having a problem lately with all the parameters coming up with no readings. Same thing happened to me 3 or 4 years ago but I just cant remember how I fixed it.

You could also go with an aeroforce gauge.

Yeah I was pissed when I got my BT scantool and it refused to show KR.

KR is not an OBD2 required PID. it's only available via manufacturer specific commands, so unless you're either running something homebrew or pay a rather large amount of money, you won't have access to it.

Ive got an LS1m and a dhp powrtuner. Both have data logging ability. Both work great. If ya can find a LS1m it'll only cost ya $100 or less. Really all ya need to get is the cord. The software is free and palms are very cheap on ebay. The powrtuner cost around 300$ and then ya have the ability to tune the car also.

Ive always used LS1m as well. Its pretty basic compared to alot of the newer stuff, but for people not looking to build a racecar, its got everything you need.

Ive always used LS1m as well. Its pretty basic compared to alot of the newer stuff, but for people not looking to build a racecar, its got everything you need.

The LS1m has parameters that by powrtuner don't even have.

But a powertuner can adjust parameters where as an LS1M can only monitor. And LS1Ms also operate on older M series palm pilots. To me, these are more basic characteristics.

Ive got an LS1m and a dhp powrtuner. Both have data logging ability. Both work great. If ya can find a LS1m it'll only cost ya $100 or less. Really all ya need to get is the cord. The software is free and palms are very cheap on ebay. The powrtuner cost around 300$ and then ya have the ability to tune the car also.
I've got a cable for that jeremy like I said, you'll just need to get a dock for the palm I have or a new palm piliot.