Speedometer prob

ismellrealbad

I'm having a problem with the speedometer. Been talkin to norbi about this. hes been a good help and would like to see if other people have an opinion also. My speedometer is off by anywhere from 10-20 or more MPH...The faster i go, the more its off. The instrument cluster was replaced (both the old and new ones were off 3.4's and i have a 2.8 ) but i dont think the guages are the problem because i have the guage cluster with voltmeter, tach, & oil and all those work fine. just the speedo is off. Any ideas

First off i didn't think you could use a 3.4 dash for a 3.1 or 2.8 car? Or maybe this is just luminas. Maybe the needle is sticking, my buds was sticking in his 90 cav. IT would stick then it would make a clicking sound while it went up and down. Maybe where the needle mounts is broken a little. But then again i have no idea just little ideas, sorry couldn't help JAy

As it used to be my car before i put a dash from a 93 GP GTP and it works without any problems because original one was broken but i think that the previous owner changed transmission and i think that the thing that sends speed input if from a different car and thats why it shows different speed. WHen my trans was changed in my 88 CS i had a same problem and only think my mechanic did was change a little plastic thing from my original trans to new one and it fixed the problem. What do you think guys?

na the needle isnt sticking. i know this because ive experience this needle stick problem in my old 91 gp LE and this is not doing that. i also know its not that because the original guages were from a 3.4 and the new guages i got are also from a 3.4. Its either the fact that i have a 2.8 and im using a cluster from a 3.4 or something related to the prob norbi decribed. im posting here in hopes someone knows exactly what im talkin about and how to fix - so that i dont have to take it to get looked at and be charged out the ass a couple hundred bucks to replace a plastic piece.

that's definetly the speed sensor. You could get the correct sensor, or get a memcal chip from the same year car the trans came out of. Only problem there is that you'll need to use the electronic EGR if the trans is 90+...or maybe ben can custom burn you a memcal with the original specs EXCEPT the speedo calculations for a price, however you need to find out first what year the trans is...

There's no difference in VSS and governor gear between 89 and higher years. 1988 is the oddball year. So if your car is an '89 and as long as the tranny is 89 or newer, the problem's not the MEMCAL, VSS, or governor gear.

If it's like a percentage error, reading too fast and gets worse at higher speeds, it's probably the analog cluster. A digital one would probably be accurate. When the analog cluster wears, it reads higher. Pretty normal for them. You can recalibrate them but it requires soldering a resistor across the laser-etched calibration resistor on the circuit board of the cluster.

I know the info in the memcals is different, at least definetly with 1990. I tried a 1991 memcal in my 90 and the speedo was off (forgot how much), consequently the same memcal tried in an 89 showed too low of a readout. I could say more but my mind's memory is so scattered right now...I just know that the speedo errors were due to the memcals, and when Ben made my chip he had to use '90 specific info...

Hmmm, you might be right, my memory's not so good either.

I'll have to go check my ancient notes, I remember looking up VSS and governors awhile back because I played around with swapping MEMCALs too.

I'm surprised an '89 MEMCAL worked at all due to the EGR differences.

when you say analog cluster are you talking about my physical guage cluster or something else? The reason i ask is because it does seem to be a percentage problem...the speed reads SLOWER and slower per higher speed for example. if im doing 10 itll read 7....32itll read 22....55 itll read 34. these areant exact patterns so dont try to get a % from that just very close accounts from being paced and talking to the person on the cell phone. If its some computer chip thing i have absolutley no idea what to do do ill end up taking it to someone. If its something i can go under the car and fiddle with (which i seem to end up being good at) then i might be able to do it. other than that i know nothin about all this engine computer stuff, its like japanese to me. You guys are a great help tho i must say

OK i discovered what was originally supposed to be in my dash was this half digital half analog one. I think this might actually be the problem. If my system was designed to use the digital speedometer how would an analog one work correctly? check it out here. i put a bid on it already just cuz i cant believe i found this. if its sure to not work ill either cancel my bid or just sell it again myself. HAHA his reserve was 25 exactly and he wanted $75 buyitnow :flip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871404334#BID1

Both types of dashes use the same 4000 pulses per mile signal, so analog or digital, it doesn't matter. However, the digital is far more accurate as it displays an actual computed value.

Dont get the half digital one, i put the newer one because they look more 90s and the half analog and half digital ones are more 80s and they break easly and after the while all the soldering pieces are loose and it will stop working so i think the one you have is more reliable and more modern looking. But that only my opinion and thats why i changed the DIC from 93 GTP because original one lookes so old and 80s and new one looks so modern and futuristic and old one was broken too.

Heheh, I have trouble thinking of analog as being more modern looking than digital!

Analog dashes have been used since the early 1900's. Digital came, and went, in the 80's only. To me even the half-digital have a high-tech appeal, they're a symbol of a time when computer and electronics technology was fresh and new.

Heheh, I have trouble thinking of analog as being more modern looking than digital!

Analog dashes have been used since the early 1900's. Digital came, and went, in the 80's only. To me even the half-digital have a high-tech appeal, they're a symbol of a time when computer and electronics technology was fresh and new.

I agree. I think i would like the digital better. I can see where norbi is coming from tho cuz the look of the analog guages on that specific one looks kinda shitty but i think id be happy to have the digital

well anyway this will be my 3rd cluster now, i learn everything the hard way so this will be nothing new. Hm. i did the thing at checking the ECM codes and i was not getting a code 24, or any code...it was just constantly flashing 12. Does this eliminate the possibility of a bad VSS or is that still a possibility.

http://www.w-body.com/ecm-codes.html

I mean i dont think that they are bad and i like everythign digital but just some things just dont fit in. Right now i am thinking about puting a electronic climate control in my 88 CS and even trying to put one in my 02 Mustang GT from a Lincoln Mark VIII becaue i hate knobs and i like digital climate controls, but in my oldsmobile i had a basic cluster and to upgrade it to Int cluster i had to rewire it so i put one from a 94 and it looks and works wihtout any problems. With a pontiac GP i like the digital part of it because it looks so cool, but the reso of it i though that didnt just fit it, and they could the the whole dash digital that would be nice. So what i am trying to say that some things look nices digital and preffer them over analog but not everythign thats digital is nice (ex base cluster in CS eehhhh :bash: ) Just my 5 cents here.