1.9 ratio rockers for S/C 3800 L67

iTurbo

So I'm thinking of getting some 1.9 rockers for the Regal. I had thought about getting a cam instead, or maybe intercooling the car, or getting some SD headers on eBay, but I have too much on my plate right now as far as car projects so I'm considering getting some rockers instead because they would be pretty easy to install in an afternoon.

I saw the 1.9 rockers on ZZP and the W-body Store, but then I noticed that, for a little more $$$, I can get the Yella Terra roller rockers/pushrods instead. Either way I will get upgraded valve springs. What do you guys think?

As far as going with a cam or intercooling or headers, I will probably just wait till next year and just pull the motor out to do that stuff if funds allow. Right now I'm primarily interested in pounding the Caliber SRT-4 from a roll, but considering the insane top end that car has, I'm a little skeptical that it will happen even with the current mods + 1.9 rockers.

Current mods:

ZZP 3" cat-less downpipe

ZZP 1.0 PCM

ZZP modular pulley system with 3.4" pulley

ZZP cast aluminum trans pan + new filter + Dex VI fluid

JMB 4" fender well intake

Racetronix fuel pump rewire + relay

new Delphi fuel pump module

complete set of polyurethane engine mounts (I think my bro got 'em from W-body store)

Autolite 104 plugs

You dont need new springs with the modded 1.9's. Terry will say you dont either with the 1.9 rollers, but everywhere else says to. If you get new springs, Id recommend 105# for the least wear on the timing chain and tensioner, and make sure to get the new retainers too so the install height is correct.

Edited by Andrew

I hope I'm not the Terry you are referring to as I'm running 105# springs with my 1.9RRs.

Im not positive 105's are necessary (iirc, I was told I could have used the lighter aftermarket springs. Don't remember the # though), but I was planning on going to a aftermarket cam later on which is why I did the 105's.

Edited by terryk2003

I just installed a set of the Yella Terra's for a buddy of mine. I also modified a GP short stack intercooler to fit his 96 Cutlass coupe with a 3.25 pulley. His car runs damn good but won't outrun my Vert with a S1X cam.

Obviously the rockers would be less work but the cam would be more bang for your buck.

I'd just suck it up and do the cam. I ran 14.3x with a 3" DP, ported mani's, 104's, Walbro pump, and 3.4" pulley. After only swapping out the cam with a S1x and injectors, I ran a 13.58 as my best time. HUGE difference and I think its way worth the extra time and money. :thumbsup:

I hope I'm not the Terry you are referring to as I'm running 105# springs with my 1.9RRs.

Im not positive 105's are necessary (iirc, I was told I could have used the lighter aftermarket springs. Don't remember the # though), but I was planning on going to a aftermarket cam later on which is why I did the 105's.

oh i thought it was you that said that! my bad. there are LS6 90# springs, but IIRC they have a higher spring rate, so at full lift, they take more pressure than the 105s at full lift, which wears out the timing system faster.

I don't have super charged engine, but i did buy rockers for my L26. I'm wondering if I should've gone with cam. This is only for daily driver and this is my first shot at modding 3800's. ;

Does the cam help bottom end torque or take off? Or does cam mostly help upper/mid range?

I've been modding my dad's :GSE.. He wants better torque at stop lights, he used to have Caddy with 4.5L. And he wants the feeling of having throttle response from stop.

Yeah a cam boosts performance through the whole powerband. Rockers will mainly help with the top of the powerband only. When you do other mods you will see better performance afterwards with a cam as well.

well, it depends which cam you get. Some are designed for top end HP. Rockers are good for beginners, much easier to install.

I never thought any 3800 lacked torque off the line. Maybe the Buicks have strict torque management? I know that drive by wire setup can be a little weird at first too, i dont like it. Theres a little delay.

Ya don't need to change the springs unless ya planned on raising shift points. There really is no need for 105#'s 90# LS springs will be just fine. Usually a bigger cam will give you a low end loss in a NA car but with a supercharger its not really effected. The big thing that makes a aftermarket cam better then rockers is it not only adds lift but duration.

Stock cam 3800 lift w/stock rockers: .413/.413

Stock cam 3800 lift w/1.9 rockers: .490/.490

Edited by bkaab

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to hold out for the cam and some other upgrades later on. Going to spend the money on a good scan gauge instead. Or hopefully I can finally find an iOS app that will let me monitor KR and use my Kiwi Wifi.