swapping an aftermarket HU wiring question

kaptnjack

swapping in a pioneer deh-p77dh deck into my 93 CS vert. with steering wheel controls.

I have already wired in a harness for the speakers/power/lights etc. but....

My question...in the back of the old oem hu....there is one seperate plug with 4 wires

black

purple

gray

green

Anybody got a clue what this plug/wires control and which wire does what?

I would love to help you with this one. Why didn't you just buy the female plug that you wire to the head unit plug? Just asking.

He did from the sounds of it. However there is a extra harness back there that is not needed for a aftermarket radio installation, therefore the harness he has does not have wires in those pins. Basically you don't need to worry about those wires. Are you hooking up the steering wheel controls? If so you will probably use one or two of those wires for that.

He did from the sounds of it. However there is a extra harness back there that is not needed for a aftermarket radio installation, therefore the harness he has does not have wires in those pins. Basically you don't need to worry about those wires. Are you hooking up the steering wheel controls? If so you will probably use one or two of those wires for that.

That is good to know because I am going to do the same and use my steering wheel controls also.

thanks for the discussion.

Ok...I did buy the female harness rig for installation.

On the factory head unit...there are four seperate multi-pin plugs. One of the plugs is inserted away and seperate from where the other three plug in sorta together....this stray plug is the reason for my OP.

I used the three factory plugs, plugged into the direct wire harness purchased to install the aftermarket HU without issue or cutting of wires. The harness does have an area that will accept the errant fourth plug...but its not pinned. This fact leads me to believe the four wires in the fourth pin are SWC controls, maybe a dimmer ....and possibly a data or pass through to other systems.

And yes....full steering wheel control can be utilized using either a serial or infrared interface...depending on the HU used.

The PAC swp-ps is serial. The PAC swi-x is infrared.

The Pioneer deh-p77dh is IR only...I have purchased and attempting the install of the swi-x today.

So...everybody has been right so far

Now...since i posted....I received the SWI-X last night and studied the install basics to determine the green wire in the fourth plug is the SWC circuit command wire....according to the PAC manual...this is what I have to tap to get control of the aftermarket HU using the IR interface.

The PAC swi-x is an IR blaster essentially. the device grabs a signal from the green SWC command wire and after programming using the Aftermakt HU's remote....converts the electrical command into an IR transmission blasted at the HU ...thus controlling the HU by SWC via IR

The other three wires in the fourth errant plug are still a mystery a this time

I will add that the aftermarket wiring harness had an extra wire designated as "dimmer" but he AFMKT HU did not have a dimmer wire...only "illumination" which the factory harness already provided.

Also...this P77DH HU is capable of operating a remosted disc changer or ipod/apple device using an IP=bus compatible cable. I bought the cable and install chrge/play capability duting the install...running the wire to the center console

Edited by kaptnjack

new issue.......ok...I am out in the shop testing and something weird is happening.

I plugged in the pioneer deh-p77dh and she fired right up and all speakers and antenna are working.....thats a good thing.

However, when I switched the parking lights/headlights on...I loose power to the

HU....switch off the lights....power auto-restores to the headunit.

I clipped the orange illumination wire in the harness from the HU and no observed effects one way or the other. Also, note that, i used the black/ground wire from the HU to connect to the black wire/pin of the OEM plug. I did try grounding the chu chassis without change. The HU manual shows to take the balck wire to earth...I assumed the oem harness wire would do that.

switching the lights on is either killing the ground...or killing the 12v

any ideas?

Edited by kaptnjack

Do you loose memory (preset stations etc.) when the radio shuts off? If so you are loosing either constant 12v or ground to the radio. Ground seems unlikely. You said you eliminated the illumination wire and still are having the issue? Do you have a text light or multimeter? You can test for which wire is losing power when the lights are turned on, yellow wire should be 12v at all times. Red wire should be 12v when key is on and the black wire should show ground at all times.

1988PhantomFE3: Yes any shop should know how to make the SWC work with an aftermarket radio.

i suspect one of the four errant wires will need to tapped to get constant ground/power when activating the park/head lamps....any ideas?

not losing the memory or presets

i suspect one of the four errant wires will need to tapped to get constant ground/power when activating the park/head lamps....any ideas?

not losing the memory or presets

yes...i cut the orange illumination wire with no effect one way or the other related to anything that i can determine at this point. The Pioneer does have an "extra" orange wire w/white trace labeled dimmer that I left unattached.

I will try attaching it to the factory harness and see if I guessed wrong between the two the first time

I do have a meter...and will go out and check the acc/constant and ground now too

Edited by kaptnjack

google google google....found the following specifically about my HU but not w-body specific...is GM though

scroll to the bottom to post #20...(talking about my unknown wires...maybe?) last paragraph...last sentence

http://buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13268&page=2

PS...all my harness connections are tinned, soldered and shrinkwrapped

Edited by kaptnjack

anybody got a link or info on the wiring colors and pinouts of the stock oem harness?

I spennt two says studying the web and write ups about this specific deck...w-bodys, gm's, and the harness to make absolutely sure that i had the wiring right so as not to fry the hard to find pioneer 1.5 deck....but something aint right and i havent found it by hunting and pecking and probing.

ok...i solved the no power/ground issue...so thats done.

now Im back to the original query. 4 wires....gray, purple, black and green,

indications in the PAC SWI-x install manual suggests the green wire is the command wire from the SWC.

Now Im down to three....gray, purple and black

and so far no wiring combination will permit the pioneer to dim the display either automatically like the oem HU...or manual using the sldier control next to the light switch...still see if it is capable of that manuever.

ok.....i solved the dimmer issue. The HU had a setting in the menu to activate the auto-dimmer function. Dimming is limited to full btight when the lights are off...and auto-dims when the lights are switched on....dimming is about 30%...no other dimming functions are available and no additional control of the HU dimming is effected by the dimmer slider on the dash

Also...the two orange wires from the HU...one orange and one orange with trace....when testing...either wire will provide the functions described above. However, the orange wire allows the HU displaye to be brightened while the lights are on....for daytime visibility. The orange/trace only brightens the display when you slide the dash lights off...the solid orange is the practicle choice

SO...now I have to wire up the PAC interface and program it...thats today's job.

installer error.....:o

The pioneer HU has a built in alarm system that can be used to sound alarms, horns, disable starter and more if used. The harness for the alarm system is integral to the HU and cannot be removed. One of the alarm wires is blue. I mistook it during install as the signal wire and had plugged it into the harness. When I switched the lights on it apparently sent or backfed a signal to a lighting relay under the glove box and disabled the HU...weird huh? I own it..I did it.

Currently the HU is installed after a couple hours fighting to get it physically mounted...tooooo many wires...tooo small of a hole.

However, its in perfectly....everything is working great...sub/amp included. There are several hours of tweaking in my future to get everything eq'd and balanced but thats the fun part.

The delays yesterday prevented me from getting the PAC IR interface programmed...doing that today. I think I wil be able to use one of the screw holes in the dash bezel as a mounting point for the little IR blaster/emiter...eliminating the need to drill a hole.....testing to see

Thats very strange. I don't think I have ever installed one of those radios, so I didn't know about that extra plug. Glad you got it figured out and working!

now... the aftermarket alarm system that was installed by the previous owner has gone completly nuts...disabled the starter...lights flashing every time i open a door or try to start it....great.

I diconnect the battery for a few seconds...and then reconnect....I can start the car before the security system "charges" but the lights and dinger keep ringing and flashing...when I cut the car off...the starter is disabled again....dangitt...always something.

I suspect that when I had the errant blue wire plugged in wrong...it scrambled the lil alarm systems brain....nand sinc I have no record of the type system installed, how it was installed or wired or where the module is located...i have yet to be able to resolve this issue or disable the device.

still vigilant.