Light bulb for spoiler brake light?

AWeb80

I just noticed that the spoiler brake light on my GP was not working. Took the cover off and found that the bulbs and contacts were corroded to shit. In the process of cleaning one bulb, I broke it. :mad: I went to 3 parts stores here and nobody had one like it.

It's 577 bulb identical to this.

k8W7V2zkozam8SZMg5bo_ZcVezUq8bo9UDoTkABLG-yySXr_CVU-bXQbN4OSKeE0PGmwFTpJTvjaU2W7BxkmOBiU_NsLy-hYHwBmXncavXk5ScJB6P09LIO-j_hb6eJCc8leNF7GwG1Ke7YoA7LS4M1V

The parts stores DID have bulbs that looked similar. the glass is a different shape (straight and same diameter as the contacts, not bulbous in the middle) , but the contacts are the same and the overall length is the same.

They had ratings of like 12.8v or 13.5v with various amps as well. would any of the these work instead of the one up top? I don't want to get the wrong one and burn wires or melt the housing......

Edited by AWeb80

The people at AutoZone told me I could use those skinny bulbs, just swap over those circle contact points. Ive had them in the spoiler on my Cavalier for 3 years now and they still work with no signs of burning.

You won't burn up anything if you have a slightly different bulb in there. If it fits and stays in place it will work fine. If you need the exact bulb number they are always listed in the owner's manual.

If those specifications are correct you are looking for a bulb of 20 watts or less. 1.4 amps @ 12.8 volts is 17.92 watts so a 20 watt bulb will draw 1.5625 amps @ 12.8 volts.

Yeah, need to look at mine because the bulb contacts actually corroded off iirc. Was kind of thinking about just rigging in an LED module if it gives me too much trouble.