90' TGP front end noise

White93z34

The car is generally alright on the highway, rides good enough. However something is up. On back roads or any bump moderate to hard I get some really nasty clunking from the right front and maybe the left front to a lesser degree. Its bad enough that you can feel it through the floor if riding passenger. before we go any further...

New parts:

• Subframe bushings, all of them
  • Swaybar bushings
  • balljoints
  • tie rods
  • tie rod ends
  • steering rack bushing
  • engine mounts
  • dogbones
  • struts

My first thought is that the strut was loose in the housing but I replaced the struts last fall made sure the washer included was put on top no up and down play that I could feel by hand. I've tried to shake down the front end as good as I could and can't seem to find anything out of place. Control arm bushings feel well enough as well.

The strut mounts have not been replaced... I swapped them with a different set I had, didn't seem to make any difference. I've never had one go bad though.

any ideas?

Two things Chris, and they may sound stupid.

Have you checked the nuts inside where the bolts shoot into with the engine subframe?

I had one break loose on the white Lumina, had a body shop weld 2 new ones in the front.

Also, as funny as this might sound, check the vacuum modulator. I had a hose off causing the car to make front end noise when there was nothing wrong.

I can hear it as well, just a loose metal noise or something.

Made sure the rack bolts were extra tight when I installed the rack, been burned on that before.

rechecked the subframe bolt torque as well.

no way is it a heatshield. exhaust.... i don't know but i'd doubt it. I have it hung using all the right hangers and its a stock catback... I'll shake it down though to be safe.

you know more I think about it... I wonder how well the strut nut is seated against the mount. I know when I installed these sensatracks the top nut was hard to get to seat down against the mount I'll have to get a pick or feeler or something and see how well it is seating on it. get some washers and stack em up as needed and see where I go from there.

Did you get it figured out Chris? I think you're on the right track looking at the struts. I've had a cartridge nut loosen up before and it made some nasty clunking.

Not yet... haven't looked at it yet. I have it put away right now so I can tool around on the z34.

• 1 year later...

I really, really hate it when people post problems but never post solutions that eventually fixed the problem.

In the end it was a combination of bad strut bearing plates and a crossthreaded strut nut. I fixed both of those last summer and the car has never driven better.