What is this part??

John M

After driving a short distance we had water spewing out of front side of motor. I think the new radiator cap helped to blow/ crack this part. It is what the bottom rad hose attaches to, plus another hose. This is a 3.4 engine. I cannot do a search for part cause I cannot name that part.

J

post-6667-143689100646_thumb.jpg

LOL, one of those pieces that doesn't have a specific name. From my experience it's usually just referred to as the water inlet. Did you not call a dealership? The part you need is 24503051 and the gasket for it is 10130979. I just looked up prices and GM is damn proud of that part. The gasket is a few dollars, but you'll be paying over $50 for the water inlet. I'd go salvage on that.

Edited by jman093

LOL, one of those pieces that doesn't have a specific name. From my experience it's usually just referred to as the water inlet. Did you not call a dealership? The part you need is 24503051 and the gasket for it is 10130979. I just looked up prices and GM is damn proud of that part. The gasket is a few dollars, but you'll be paying over $50 for the water inlet. I'd go salvage on that.

Neat!

FWIW, from the part number you posted, I found these:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Chevrolet/INLET-Engine-Coolant-Pump/2997134/24503051.html

INLET. Engine Coolant Pump.

Stock Code 24503051

Your Price $ 68.98

Categories Body > Other; ENGINE > Other; ENGINE > Crankshaft, Rods and Bearings; Air Conditioning and Heating > Heater; Body > Sheet Metal; Cooling > Radiator; Cooling > Other

Assemblies W ENGINE ASM-3.4L V6 PART 3 FRONT COVER AND COOLING (LQ1/3.4X); ; W ENGINE ASM-3.4L V6 PART 4 OIL PUMP,PAN AND RELATED PARTS (LQ1/3.4X); ; W HOSES & PIPES/HEATER (LQ1/3.4X); W HOSES & PIPES/HEATER LQ1/3.4X); ; W HOSES & PIPES/RADIATOR (LQ1/3.4X); ;

950602MW00-041.JPG

[TABLE]

[TR=class: assembly_featuredProduct]

[TD=class: gridViewBorder, align: center]313 [/TD]

[TD=class: gridViewBorder, align: center] 24503051[/TD]

[TD=class: gridViewBorder] INLET. Engine Coolant Pump

INLET,WAT. Required: 01For: W 3.4X(LQ1) (1994-1994) (1994 - 1994). For: W 3.4X(LQ1) (1994-1996) (1994 - 1995). For: W 3.4X(LQ1) (1995-1997)

[/TD]

[TD=class: gridViewBorder, align: right] $68.98[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yes yes Thank you. I wanted to call it a water inlet, but it would not search/find without the number. looks like I will see if the HTS 2000 (alum weld) will work on this before I buy any part. It is paid for.

J

A shame it appears to be LQ1 specific...especially since there are so many 3.1's lying around in the junkyard...

Back to your original posting, though, I doubt your radiator cap had much to do with the failure. Pressure high enough to have cracked the housing would have blown up the radiator, or a hose long before the pressure got high enough to destroy the inlet.

I tried to soldered it did not work. Part was $73 from DS.:( I tried the junkyards ,but no prize. So now to the next project stopping the top leaks.

post-6667-143689101329_thumb.jpg

good news, great engines....bad news, they leak every possible fluid at 1 time or the other......good news, you can fix all leaks fairly inexpencevly......bad news, the best way to accomplish this is to pll the engine......good news,pulling the engine is suprizingly easer than you might think,i could actually walk some one through it online.

• 9 years later...
3 hours ago, 95cutlassv3rt said:

Sell me that Inlet, engine coolant pump fitting

Make sure to stay within the 94-97 years.  There is a difference between the early and later year LQ1's and their housing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Make sure to stay within the 94-97 years.  There is a difference between the early and later year LQ1's and their housing.

I am literally on the verge of threading the hole npt and instsalling plumbing to get her back on th e road, no one has this part anywhere!

Not surprising as it is not an aftermarket item. If that small manifold is cracked & causing it to leak you'll have to scour the salvage yards for an item (does your engine have the optional oil cooler in behind the filter).

If you can't find one then you're approaching a welding shop to tig it back to usable condition.

Edited by 55trucker

4 hours ago, 95cutlassv3rt said:

I am literally on the verge of threading the hole npt and instsalling plumbing to get her back on th e road, no one has this part anywhere!

If it's not repairable, like what 55trucker is saying, you'll need to find one from a junkyard or parts car.  I'm assuming you have a 95 LQ1 vert?  Depends on if your car has the outlet port for the oil cooler or not.  2 port verses a 3 port housing.

Just now, jiggity76 said:

If it's not repairable, like what 55trucker is saying, you'll need to find one from a junkyard or parts car.  I'm assuming you have a 95 LQ1 vert?  Depends on if your car has the outlet port for the oil cooler or not.  2 port verses a 3 port housing.

It is a 2 port housing and there is no LQ1 cars at any yards in Maine, they scrap everything that is 15 years old or older. I couldnt repair it, it broke again, I bought a 1 1/4" NPT pipe tap... We shall see how this idea turns out.