UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
pshojo

Junk Yard Thread, Never ending

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Amanita said:

Yep, it just so happens to be a '94. If its still there Ill grab it for you. Also, yes I want to keep OBD2. That's another one of the reasons I wasn't so sure about using this as a donor car.

Please do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Amanita said:

It has a factory cassette player. I don't recall if it had that cupholder and I didn't take an interior picture. However, I did take a picture of the rear. I recall the other tail light being in similar shape to the one in the picture. I tried taking the strut bar off but I stopped when I risked stripping the nuts.

 

 

20190509_135551.jpg

Edit: Well I am going back tomorrow. As it turns out, the Grand Prix DOES have something I want.

be4512b6-433d-4035-8fb3-77b3cc4f8f6e.JPG.fa52d7d5fb9dfcb78b93202438de75ad.JPG

I want those basketweave wheels, they weren't with the car but I doubt somebody took them in the 2 weeks they've been there. They should require 245/50 tires right? Shame I won't be able to use my month old sumitomos on them but I can hold onto them until I need new tires.

I can't tell if they are the gold or silver ones though, @ManicMechanic does the vin let you know? Vin is 1G2WJ12M8SF210668, I'm curious to know how rare it is too.

They are silver. Beige interior = gold/graphite or light gray interior = silver.

1 of 2944, not too rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amanita said:

At the junkyard now, here's what I've taken off so far

 

20190510_131028.jpg

Fantastic!  Those will make some guys very happy, thanks for doing this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Fantastic!  Those will make some guys very happy, thanks for doing this!

Those tail lights are in insanely good condition. Makes me jealous as my 98 has issues with water leaking into the assembly.

 

Also I took pictures of the cutlass's interior. Poor thing, might have been worth saving.

20190510_131119.thumb.jpg.613b321d3286c61d7f8150e025dc17e2.jpg20190510_131125.thumb.jpg.7efe2d9e72ed7ba990790d9bc3482051.jpg

Both the cutlass and grand prix had their drivers side rear seat ripped upwards. Somebody was looking for something very specific I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think junkyards do that to the seats, maybe for fuel pump or gas tank access or something?  The yards in my area do the same thing to all the cars that get processed.  It's always sad to see a W-body meet it's end.  Sometimes that's the only way for us to get parts though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

I would have never thought of that.  Really ruins a lot of rear seats though.

Yeah, I don't agree with it but it does keep guns and stuff out of hands that don't need them. You wouldn't believe the shit i found when i had my yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention 2 things.

1. They didn't have the basketweave rims from the grand prix in stock at pick n pull

2. They might have gotten in an aztek recently. I saw a red one in the area where they keep cars that they are waiting to put into the yard, but it's always possible it was an employee's car since it was in the far back by itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amanita said:

I forgot to mention 2 things.

1. They didn't have the basketweave rims from the grand prix in stock at pick n pull

2. They might have gotten in an aztek recently. I saw a red one in the area where they keep cars that they are waiting to put into the yard, but it's always possible it was an employee's car since it was in the far back by itself.

The yards I go to unfortunately take the rims off the cars and just scrap them before they put them out in the pull area.  People don't have access to them, such a waste.  Other yards across the country don't do this and it makes me mad the yards in my region do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

The yards I go to unfortunately take the rims off the cars and just scrap them before they put them out in the pull area.  People don't have access to them, such a waste.  Other yards across the country don't do this and it makes me mad the yards in my region do.

Yeah, I finally convinced ours to quit doing that, they did and every time I go I see someone buying stock rims. They owe me. hah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

Yeah, I finally convinced ours to quit doing that, they did and every time I go I see someone buying stock rims. They owe me. hah

Thank you from all of us who missed out on getting the rims we need, especially if they are on the rare side.  Remember this 92 International sedan?  I was so excited to see they left the rims on it but then they wanted $80 bucks a tire/rim and I couldn't afford to get them at the time.  I just couldn't win.  About 99% of the time they pull the rims off and immediately scrap them.  Maybe they knew how special they were this time.

Oh this makes me sad again seeing it.

6QFWa2.jpgcSJUOU.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just make a wanted post asking if anyone has an extra set of basketweave rims they don't need. Also I want to know what they are smoking to think $80 a wheel is a fair price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amanita said:

I'll just make a wanted post asking if anyone has an extra set of basketweave rims they don't need. Also I want to know what they are smoking to think $80 a wheel is a fair price.

LOL!  I know right!  I looked at the guy at the counter and was like what!  Anyway, if I could have afforded to get them I would have.  Hate to see rare pies get scrapped but I just couldn't swing it.

I did get the HUD, I can't remember if I got the cable, and I did get the HUD adjuster switch.  I did grab the AQ9 front seat controls.  So a lot of the International parts got saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 8:16 AM, 55trucker said:

If you go back to this yard & see this car....please inquire as to what the yard will let that strut bar go for?

 

thx

I thought I remembered somebody asked about a strut bar. I got one just like that one from my runs to the junkyard. Are you still interested in getting one?

20190512_112433.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amanita said:

I thought I remembered somebody asked about a strut bar. I got one just like that one from my runs to the junkyard. Are you still interested in getting one?

20190512_112433.jpg

No, not for me but some guys do want them.  It's good to have one just in case someone needs it.  See that little notch towards the right side?  That's for the LQ1 cars, the 3.1 verts do not have that little notch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, jiggity76 said:

I think junkyards do that to the seats, maybe for fuel pump or gas tank access or something?  The yards in my area do the same thing to all the cars that get processed.  It's always sad to see a W-body meet it's end.  Sometimes that's the only way for us to get parts though.

 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:28 PM, ManicMechanic said:

They look for illegal stuff, tools, valuables usually...Never know what will be stuffed under the seats.

 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, jiggity76 said:

I would have never thought of that.  Really ruins a lot of rear seats though.

 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, ManicMechanic said:

Yeah, I don't agree with it but it does keep guns and stuff out of hands that don't need them. You wouldn't believe the shit i found when i had my yard.

Here in Colorado, and Missouri, the yard isnt the one doing it. Its the junkies coming into the yard every morning at opening, and they will be the first one to a car/truck brought in, looking for change under the seats, in the consoles, glove boxes, etc. They dont have tools, they just rip apart everything by hand. They are the worst on the GMT360's (Trailblazers/Envoy/Etc) as the consoles in them are always eating money. There is a video on Youtube that has a guy finding $37.14 in change and bills under the console. I found over 12 bucks under my console when I replaced it. But the only way to get under the console is to unbolt it. Junkies just rip them out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

 

 

 

 

Here in Colorado, and Missouri, the yard isnt the one doing it. Its the junkies coming into the yard every morning at opening, and they will be the first one to a car/truck brought in, looking for change under the seats, in the consoles, glove boxes, etc. They dont have tools, they just rip apart everything by hand. They are the worst on the GMT360's (Trailblazers/Envoy/Etc) as the consoles in them are always eating money. There is a video on Youtube that has a guy finding $37.14 in change and bills under the console. I found over 12 bucks under my console when I replaced it. But the only way to get under the console is to unbolt it. Junkies just rip them out!

Wow!  That's crazy and sad for both the junkies who live like that and for people trying to get good parts.  I had my parts car get gone thru one time.  It's off in it's own little part of the unused parking lot section of my apartment building.  I went to get something from it and noticed the front and center console lids were open, the glovebox, and the ashtray door.  I never lock it, I use it for parts, but you could tell someone was looking thru it for money and valuables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, pontiac6ksteawd said:

 

 

 

 

Here in Colorado, and Missouri, the yard isnt the one doing it. Its the junkies coming into the yard every morning at opening, and they will be the first one to a car/truck brought in, looking for change under the seats, in the consoles, glove boxes, etc. They dont have tools, they just rip apart everything by hand. They are the worst on the GMT360's (Trailblazers/Envoy/Etc) as the consoles in them are always eating money. There is a video on Youtube that has a guy finding $37.14 in change and bills under the console. I found over 12 bucks under my console when I replaced it. But the only way to get under the console is to unbolt it. Junkies just rip them out!

 

On 5/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, jiggity76 said:

Wow!  That's crazy and sad for both the junkies who live like that and for people trying to get good parts.  I had my parts car get gone thru one time.  It's off in it's own little part of the unused parking lot section of my apartment building.  I went to get something from it and noticed the front and center console lids were open, the glovebox, and the ashtray door.  I never lock it, I use it for parts, but you could tell someone was looking thru it for money and valuables.

Actually, the yard is usually the one doing it. They are checking that the battery is not under there. It is easier if they check all of them rather than have to know which ones have it where. You can thank newer cars like Bonnevilles and BMW 5 and 7 series for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

90ba60ed-71a6-47e5-a218-a6d28695c959.JPG

PICK-n-PULL Sacramento
Sacramento, California 95823

7b876d34-5832-4f9a-adfa-8a25dbf0a38a.JPG

PICK-n-PULL Oakland
Oakland, California 94621

Oh no!  A rare 3.1 International sedan!  I'm about 8 hrs from there when I go pick up the STE too.  Beautiful maroon rust free car, NOOOOOOO!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Oh no!  A rare 3.1 International sedan!  I'm about 8 hrs from there when I go pick up the STE too.  Beautiful maroon rust free car, NOOOOOOO!!!!

1 of 48 Garnet/Garnet leather WR54T cars made in 1992.

Edited by ManicMechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

1 of 48 Garnet/Garnet leather WR54T cars made in 1992.

I still don't understand why rust free cars get scrapped, what a waste of a rare one.  I probably shouldn't ask this but does it have HUD, CD, or moonroof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...