UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
pshojo

Junk Yard Thread, Never ending

1 minute ago, ManicMechanic said:

No, except as a conversation piece. I'd bet the electronics are wasted.

Ok, I remember these cars.  It doesn't look that bad aside from it being dirty.  Lots of mold so maybe it was in a flood.  It's a shame.

No first gen W's at the yard today but I did find this once nice 90 Toronado.  It's got everything but the moonroof I think.  The car was in amazing condition body wise, no rust at all on the underside or anywhere really.  Looks like it sat under a tree somewhere and would probably explain why it wasn't subjected to the winter road salt and hence the extremely clean rust free body.  Holmes Oldsmobile is in the Des Moines, Iowa area, a once well known and successful Oldsmobile dealer.  Car still retains the dealer badge on the trunk lid.

o1eyUG.jpgwtfBVV.jpgxuR72W.jpgmGeMra.jpgSYGnEi.jpgjBT3sm.jpgx2favt.jpg

Maybe I should have grabbed the rare touch screen.

Zib84r.jpg

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

That's good to know.  Hey, do these cars share the same shifter handle?  I need one.

Yes, you can use most any handle from 1980s to 2000s that are held in with a clip. Except the horseshoe shifter in the Olds Touring Sedans and earlier Toronados.

13 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Yes, you can use most any handle from 1980s to 2000s that are held in with a clip. Except the horseshoe shifter in the Olds Touring Sedans and earlier Toronados.

Thanks!  I might go back down and look at it again and grab it if it's in good shape.  I thought they looked really similar.

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

Thanks!  I might go back down and look at it again and grab it if it's in good shape.  I thought they looked really similar.

If you do pull the instrument cluster, the visual information center (Vic), and headlight switch. I could use them. Especially the I/c. They are known to go bad. Could even be the reason it’s there.  

These are really hard to find in yards Around me. I don’t even remember the last time I seen one. I had to buy an entire car to get an inside door handle the last time it broke.  

3 minutes ago, Luke94vert said:

If you do pull the instrument cluster, the visual information center (Vic), and headlight switch. I could use them. Especially the I/c. They are known to go bad. Could even be the reason it’s there.  

These are really hard to find in yards Around me. I don’t even remember the last time I seen one. I had to buy an entire car to get an inside door handle the last time it broke.  

Oh crap, I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize you owned a Toronado, cool!  Ok, I'll try to get back down there this coming Wednesday or Thursday.  I've never pulled one of these before, any tips?  I'm planning on pulling the bezel first and then just figure it out from there.  I was also planning on cutting the wiring and take all the pin connections and bolt hardware too.  I don't have a Toronado or plan to get one but thought it was a rare enough piece to grab.

3 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

That's good to know.  Hey, do these cars share the same shifter handle?  I need one.

Mr. Dimples has the spare shifter handle from her 2001 Monte. Automakers are creatures of habit.

2 minutes ago, Imp558 said:

Mr. Dimples has the spare shifter handle from her 2001 Monte. Automakers are creatures of habit.

It's the same?  Does he want to sell it?  Who the heck is Mr. Dimples?

Oh crap, I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize you owned a Toronado, cool!  Ok, I'll try to get back down there this coming Wednesday or Thursday.  I've never pulled one of these before, any tips?  I'm planning on pulling the bezel first and then just figure it out from there.  I was also planning on cutting the wiring and take all the pin connections and bolt hardware too.  I don't have a Toronado or plan to get one but thought it was a rare enough piece to grab.

Yes I have a 92 Troféo. Mine is only missing a heated windshield and the cell phone.

Ya the bezel comes off and there are 7mm bolts holding it it. Just pulls out. The wiring pigtails are a pain I’m not even sure anymore how to get them out. Iirc they are mounted from the firewall side of the i/p. But my 3rd i/c has lasted 1.5 years this time and I’ve worked on too many vehicles in the mead time to recall. When the i/c goes out you loose everything but the tach. Including speedo heat radio. It all runs through the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Luke94vert said:

Yes I have a 92 Troféo. Mine is only missing a heated windshield and the cell phone.

Ya the bezel comes off and there are 7mm bolts holding it it. Just pulls out. The wiring pigtails are a pain I’m not even sure anymore how to get them out. Iirc they are mounted from the firewall side of the i/p. But my 3rd i/c has lasted 1.5 years this time and I’ve worked on too many vehicles in the mead time to recall. When the i/c goes out you loose everything but the tach. Including speedo heat radio. It all runs through the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, you get my PM?  I'm talking ALOT of pics!  So you need the touch screen, the instrument panel, and headlight switch?

On 12/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, ManicMechanic said:

A Toronado heated mirror glass will fit the housing of a Cutlass Supreme.

I didn't know this either, thanks Manic.  Are there any auto-dimming side mirrors that fit in the Cutlass Supreme housings?

The Olds Toronado is kind of like the Buick Rivera, pick a year and you`re guaranteed a beautiful car.  I found a 92 Trofeo in a yard a year or 2 ago and wanted one just like, only grabbed emblems at the time, didnt know other things were interchangeable.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:56 PM, Luke94vert said:

Previous post dude, I`d have pulled everything from it and given it to you for everything you`ve done for the W-body crowd.

51 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Previous post dude, I`d have pulled everything from it and given it to you for everything you`ve done for the W-body crowd.

I'm the dude, I've already pm'd him and waiting for his response.  I just pulled the parts he needs/wants this morning.  Well, everything but the headlamp switch, the backside was busted up pretty bad.

Edited by jiggity76

On 12/25/2018 at 10:39 AM, MemphisMan said:

I didn't know this either, thanks Manic.  Are there any auto-dimming side mirrors that fit in the Cutlass Supreme housings?

I don't think so, not sure if the Toro mirror is auto-dim or not. That technology was not used much back then but was around.

1 hour ago, Imp558 said:

Any compass mirrors ever come with red display instead of the green?

The displays in the compass mirrors are colored by a colored piece of plastic that sticks to the display.  Manic sold me the mirror in my vert, which originally came from an 02-05 Sebring, with an amber display.  He replaced the amber plastic with green plastic before he sent it to me.  If you could find a translucent red piece of plastic...

3 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

I don't think so, not sure if the Toro mirror is auto-dim or not. That technology was not used much back then but was around.

I still have the SSR mirror, which comes with leads for auto-dim drivers side mirror.  I always thought an auto-dim drivers side mirror would be nice in the vert as long as I could use the original housing.