89 Buick Century

mwfdolphin

Hello everyone! I am new here and new to asking advice. I was married to a mechanic and well he usually handled all this stuff and well lets not get into all that. I recently got a donated car (paid a cheap amount, and runs pretty good and not in paid shape) BUT it is now having an issue of leaking Antifreeze pretty bad (the reserve tank runs almost empty in a couple days that's how bad), and the lower hose is hard.. Please any advice on what it would be and how much it would cost. Money is really tight at the moment, won't get into details... Just need to know if there is something I can do to hold me over til pay day, am I really screwed. Is it the Waterpump? I am pretty sure the Radiator is in good shape.... I am just not sure if I am going to be okay driving it another week.. It has not overheated yet or anything just leaking and have to put Antifreeze in every couple days and the lower hose is hard... PLEASE HELP..

Thanks, Christine

Hi Christine.

Your Century is considered an "A-Body" but that doesn't mean that we can't help you. Most of us are very familiar with most if not all GM models...

It would be good if we had a bit more info about your engine. Is it a Tech-4, 4cylinder? Or does it say 3300 on top of the engine?

Is there an obvious leak that you can find, or is it just disappearing on it's own?

Usually, when a radiator hose is hard, that indicates that there is a stoppage somewhere in the system.

It could be something like a clog in the radiator, or something as simple as a failing thermostat.

While it's definitaly not advisable, you can drive a car without a thermostat. The engine will run too cool and not be as efficient as it should be. There are other issues that can arise, such as hot spots in the head(s) because of a lack of back pressure from the thermostat (but I've never encountered such a problem).

• 1 month later...

Christine that car is very easy to work on if you have 3300 Buick Motor Lower Rad is hose is about $30 upper is cheaper water pump is about$40 not hard to replace.

First Diagnois where the leak is does it end up on the drive way or in the car? If the carpet is wet with anti frezze then it likely your heater core if not it is likely a hose. Water Pump you just remove the Serpintine belt then remove the bolts clean gasket off, remove 4 small bolts holding the pulley on the water pump then attach to the new one. After add the new gasket put bolts back and re attach the serpintine belt.

If it is the hose that is easy you can remove it with a screw driver for the hose clamp on each and pry off the hose attach the new one with clamps tightened then finished. I hope this helps and it is not too late