What cam should I go with?

bkaab

I'm building a turbo 3400 for my 96 GP. I am looking at the Milzy Motorsports stg 1 turbo cam and the WOT-Tech street/strip turbo cam. From my understanding the Milzy cam does not need different length pushrods but the WOT-Tech does. So that would make the Milzy cam cheaper by over 100$. Specs on the cam's are pretty close other then duration is a good amount more on the exhaust on the WOT-Tech cam. Anyone have any dyno numbers or 1/4 times with either of those cams?

Also does anyone know what the max lift stock heads on a 3x00?

Thanks,

Andrew B.

You can run the wot-tech cam on stock pushrods. It just isn't optimal, which is true of any cam with considerably more lift than stock.

Are WOT-Tech cam's regrinds or new blanks? I thought that the reason for the pushrods was because they were regrinds and that the pushrods were longer to make up the grinding of the cam. Over in 3800 world the only cam anyone runs different pushrods for is the XPZ.

Just a little confused

They are new blanks from Comp Cams, not regrinds. You have .070" preload stock, so as long as your pushrods don't need to be over .060, technically, you can run stock pushrods. You will give up lift and duration though, as the lifter will give much more before actually lifting the pushrod to the rocker arm, to lift the valve. The street/strip turbo cam needs .020" longer pushrods, so its not bad. It is recommended, not required to run the longer pushrods.

Here is 1 example of the SS turbo cam from wot-tech in a camaro

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/also-growing-a-mullet-t112374,start,315.html

Ran 12.3 @ 117 Stock 3500 with the street/strip race cam and 5 psi. He plans to go to the dyno sometime soon to get numbers at higher boost.

^Broken link, this should work though http//www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/also-growing-a-mullet-t112374,start,315.html

LOL I love how he made his badges

Yup, I cut apart the plastic stock intake manifold covers, and glued them to the car. HAHA one on each side cause I had a couple spare 3500's.... lol

Man, listen to this thing run. Never heard something that was such a mix between muscle and rice.

http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt302/NoTime_50/Pauls%20Video%20Camera%20JVC/?action=view&current=Sequence04.mp4

Edited by skitchin

They are new blanks from Comp Cams, not regrinds. You have .070" preload stock, so as long as your pushrods don't need to be over .060, technically, you can run stock pushrods. You will give up lift and duration though, as the lifter will give much more before actually lifting the pushrod to the rocker arm, to lift the valve. The street/strip turbo cam needs .020" longer pushrods, so its not bad. It is recommended, not required to run the longer pushrods.

Here is 1 example of the SS turbo cam from wot-tech in a camaro

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/also-growing-a-mullet-t112374,start,315.html

Ran 12.3 @ 117 Stock 3500 with the street/strip race cam and 5 psi. He plans to go to the dyno sometime soon to get numbers at higher boost.

Thanks for the explanation! I now have a much better understanding now.

Well I ordered the Street/Strip turbo cam. I'll run my stock pushrods for now and maybe next year I'll get the longer ones. Thanks for the quick and very helpful replies!