Some 3.4 DOHC questions

85FieroGT

Hi guys. I have an 85 Fiero GT that I am going to be putting a 3.4 DOHC into soon. I just got a very good deal on a brand new GM crate motor, that is for 96-97 W body cars.

My questions are:

1: I need to find an intake. What are the best models, and years of cars to look for one off of?

2: Is the intake diferent between the pre 96 and post 96 DOHC? So far I have been able to determine that they did some changes in 96.

3: Would the throttle body have to come off the same year and model also?

I will probably have more questions as I progress. Any help and info is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Robert

Welcome! You'll want a 1996+ intake plenum for all of your questions.

The 1996+ have the better runners for increased air flow.

They have detactable throttle bodies compared to the eariler casted one right to the plenum.

And it's you getting a 1996 - 1997 crate motor the intake sizing will match up.

Another DOHC into a Fiero? Cool! I'm still amazed some of the swaps people can pull off.

- Erik

Only use the 96 style intake if you plan on using a manual trans, the increased runner size is only effective at rpm's above what an auto trans can handle.

The lower intake and plenum need to be from the same years but either set will bolt to all engines.

Thanks guys. So 96 or 97 intake it is. So what model car am I looking for now?

How are the intakes from RSM Racing? They seem to have some ported intakes and larger throttle bodies. Anybody used these?

Thanks for the help guys I do appreciate it.

Robert

How are the intakes from RSM Racing? They seem to have some ported intakes and larger throttle bodies. Anybody used these?

I have the RSM upper and lowers done. Who ever did it for them did a nice job. Works great! Some people here don't like RSM, personally i had no problems with them. They will charge a core though.

Shipping to the US plus border fees add up...trust me. They are also overpriced. Ill have some throttleplates soon hopefully so I can do 69mm TBs as well. I port lower intakes for 60 bucks. Dunno what a local shop would charge though but it isn't worth 100 or 150 to have the lower done.

A 96 has a different TB, so I don't know if RSM has anything for it or not. I need a 96 TB to see about having an aftermarket billet piece can be made.