What to do?

rktmanfj

Hello from Indianapolis...

I joined the board a few months ago as the new owner of a previously unloved '94 Cutlass Supreme convertible. I had always wanted one of these, and the right one came along.

I picked the car up cheap on Craigslist. 3.4L, 160k miles. The story was: The PO had used the car as a DD, when the transmission went out, and she had it repaired. It never did run right after, and the trans shop guys tried several times to get it fixed. They didn't have a clue what they were doing, replaced the coils (reversing two leads in the process, etc.) and the PO ended up getting frustrated and parked the car under a tree in the backyard, and bought another Cutlass. It remained under the tree for 3 years until the PO died, and the family sold both Cutlasses to the guy I bought it from, who figured out that the intake plenum had a big crack in it, as well as the coil issue.

When I looked at the car, it ran well enough, considering all, and although dirty (the right rear window regulator was not connected, allowing the window to remain partially open) inside and out, everything seemed to be present and except for the HUD, working The past few months I have been happily lurking around the forum, gathering knowledge and fixing up the car. Because of issues with my gf's cars (trans on both failed within 10 days), the Cutlass soon got pressed into daily service, and proved to be very reliable. The body seemed solid, and other than needing a new top, light upholstery repair (worn console cover, and a broken seam in the driver's seat), and new paint, had the potential to be a very presentable car.

12-27-11.jpg

I was really enjoying working on my project... until this week.

While on my way home from work on I-465 (the beltway around Indy), I encountered some of out nice local youths, who insisted on riding my rear bumper at 65 mph (limit is 50 mph). Traffic was heavy, and I moved over as soon as I could. Judging by the way they were dressed, and driving, they must have been late for some sort of social club meeting. Apparently, getting the hell out of their way wasn't enough, as they chucked something against the side of the car as they drove by, then two more items as they pulled slightly ahead, one of which was headed into the car with me, and you see below the result of me trying to dodge it. First sideways to the left, then to the right, left and right. If there had been just a bit more room, I probably would've saved it. Instead, the right rear quarter panel just clipped the end of an Armco barrier, and gave me a 270 degree spin, ending up facing the wrong way in the slow lane.

Cutlass-after.jpg

Cutlass-after002.jpg

Of course, the day after all this happened, my new dome light switches arrived (thanks J_Mezz!).

So now, the project is at a standstill. Obviously, this is not a cheap repair, and will without a doubt, end up costing well more than I currently have in the car, and perhaps more than it is worth (even with a new top, which I can get done locally for $1k). I'm looking for advice from the members here... what to do? Keep and repair it? Part it out? Sell it to someone else who wants more of a project than I was really looking for?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Randy T

Indy

fix? it would be expensive body work for a shop, but if you can do stuff yourself, it can be done.....

I have 90% of the parts... I have a welder and a rear quarter from a vert(realistically, that is not going to be easy, but....) and the everything else can be bolted on besides that..... and I live in Noblesville. there is a 97 coupe at pull a part with the lip tails and everything else can come from it too....

Sorry to hear about your bad luck - tailgating is one of my pet peeves, and it's a huge problem around here. Drivers are ignorant and will cut in front of you if the space is there(especially in stop and go traffic), which makes people want to tailgate all the more.. In this kind of situation, it's really a matter of what is the car worth to you? How much is it worth in it's current condition? How much will the repairs cost? These cars don't have a very high bluebook value, so you can pretty well guess repairs will be more than half the value of the car.

Car is going to take some time/money/work, it's all a question of how much you like that car. Honestly, easiest thing might just be to sell it and buy another(if you're into the cars) and take the loss.

fix? it would be expensive body work for a shop, but if you can do stuff yourself, it can be done.....

I have 90% of the parts... I have a welder and a rear quarter from a vert(realistically, that is not going to be easy, but....) and the everything else can be bolted on besides that..... and I live in Noblesville. there is a 97 coupe at pull a part with the lip tails and everything else can come from it too....

Oh really? :biggrin:

Noblesville isn't far at all, heh.

I've not welded in years, and this is going to cost more than I had planned for the car (a new top will have to wait), but suddenly it sounds doable (as long as the rest of the body isn't tweaked).

I can get away with minor wrenching here, but the complex is not going to let me do much on this here There's no way the car will fit into the garage bay. I had actually considered getting a shop to scab on the quarter, and do a lot of the rest myself.

possible, of course, I don;t really have a place too much of a place to do it here either... though i live in a house where if it could be turned around in a day, it could be done...

Do get some quotes on a professional quarter scab, and a better fender than the piece I have might be found if you have a bettery powered sawzall to jy with.... but get that taillight from PAP first!!!!! Tell them it is a "taillight lens" and not a taillight for a better price. All the other parts are more common and that car was laid down two weeks ago....

Edited by Crazy K

Hi Randy.

Valuable lesson: "Never try to dodge anything" when there's not time.

2010Dayton06.jpg

This is a pic that I took of a car (the red civic) that was directly infront of me that tried (unsuccessfully) to dodge a bunch of wood that was on I-75. I would have tried to hit the brakes and brace for the wood.

He tried to swerve and avoid while locking the brakes, sliding sideways into the Impala that's now also in rough shape.

I'm glad to hear that you're okay, I wish that the people who did this while you were driving would go to hell (and believe me when I say that I'm not holding you accountable for what's happened), I can only wish the best for you, those with you and last but not least your car. In the end you could use a rubber hammer, bust out everything as straight as possible, new bumper cover, potentially new trunk lid, definitely new tail, spray paint the rear quarter and simply wait for happier days to do the rest of the metal work right (provided that the trunk isn't leaking there are option out there for you.

That BLOWS!!! I assume they just kept going? Dumb mother------- I digress.

As others have suggested, You might as well try to do what you can yourself... Just hope to god the structure underneath hasn't been wrinkled or anything. Yikes...

But it looks to be a good example otherwise, and you aren't going to hear "That car is NOT worth the body work you just put into it" around here. The car is worth what it's worth to YOU.

Good luck!

Let insurance write the car off and take the money

Buy it back from them for cheap

?????????????????????

PROFIT?????!?!?

That is terrible that it happened, It looked to be a nice car. I hope that you can fix that car up back to its original glory and have no other problems.

I would try to get the parts from a salvage yard and attempt it yourself. As long as there is no frame damage from the pictures it looks like you might just need a new bumper face bar, quarter panel, and bumper cover, along with the tail lens and side marker. If your slight savvy with welding I would attempt it.

Thanks to all who have replied... :)

I would estimate impact at 40-45 mph.

Since I was looking at the car more closely, it appeared to me that that trim around the boot area is cockeyed, but I put a big level across there, and it seems okay. I measured both fender well openings, and they are very close as well, so it may just be an optical illusion.

I had planned to go to PAP and get the part I could before the storms roll in, but I'm being forced to work OT this afternoon, so it will have to wait and I'll hope they are still around when I can get there. :shrug: In addition to the part that Mel87 listed, it will definitely need a deck lid and at least part of the passenger side mechanism for it, as well as the trim piece that holds the backup lights.

My plan at this point is to get it into a shop that has one of the jigs that can accurately measure any tweakage and assess it, and then go from there.

If I get lucky and the thing isn't tweaked (or is, and can be easily brought back), I'll see about getting it done in stages, and do as much as I can on my own. Paint is not as big of a deal as it was going to need it somewhere down the line anyway.

Unfortunately, I was only carrying PL/PD on it, so this is on me. Fortunately, all things considered, I have very little cash wrapped up in it.

Edited by rktmanfj

I don't have the rear bumper parts off yet. i still owe Jeff on here about $100 for the one I need, but when that comes off you're welcome to it. Shipping's a little pricey on that, but I'm not using these parts at all. They were new parts when our car got fixed in 2006 I believe. It was before our Family owned the car.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people...and I have seen good things happen because of it! Hang in there BUD!

post-5754-143689096868_thumb.jpg

post-5754-14368909688_thumb.jpg

Patch car back together using black duct tape.

Find senior with really bad vision.

Pass senior, get infront of him and slam on the brakes.

Senior with really bad vision rear ends car.

Get senior to pay to fix the car.

And if it weighs on your conscience. It shouldn't. The senior with the really bad vision will get a wake up call and an accident was inevitable. The senior citizen could have even killed someone, like a pedestrian or something. So this is probably the most logical course of action.

Props to Phantom for being willing to help out with the parts. That's kick-ass!!

Ouch. That was no small hit. It would be a good bit of work to get that worked out.... how bowed out are the B pillars.... right side in-particular. It does not look as simple as a quarter skin replace as it seems to have moved all the sheetmetal to the right a good deal. Its fixable. Depends on if a) your pockets are deep enough to pay a shop to replace the sheetmetal of B) you have the means to cut it apart, go as close back to the spot welds as possible and replace what is bent.

I don't have the rear bumper parts off yet. i still owe Jeff on here about $100 for the one I need, but when that comes off you're welcome to it. Shipping's a little pricey on that, but I'm not using these parts at all. They were new parts when our car got fixed in 2006 I believe. It was before our Family owned the car.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people...and I have seen good things happen because of it! Hang in there BUD!

WOW. That's an awesome offer, Phantom... overwhelming, in fact!

I've got to get this thing out to a shop soon, and see if it's even feasible to get it done. I definitely want it on a rack and closely measured before I put a lot of time and $$$ in it. I dunno the stock distance between the B-pillars, but the doors seem to close okay and line up.

That WRX pic could have ended up being me. There was heavy traffic behind... including a few 18-wheelers. I have no idea how they all got stopped without another accident.

Thanks again for all the support! Reminds me a lot of the motorcycle list where I've been a long-time member. :biggrin:

Hopefully she can be saved, just let me know what you decide. It's be nice to keep one of the convertibles on the street, instead of having to total it. Glad you're alive man!

Spent the afternoon at PAP... all in all, a pretty productive day. :dance:

Props to Crazy K for pointing me in the right direction for these:

IMG_20120506_164047.jpg

It was very hot and humid (for May). I'll go back and get the bumper cover, face bar, etc later.

I also got the plastic grid part of the bumper off, and a temp tail/brake/license plate light mounted to the old face bar, so it's legal to drive around to the shops etc. and get it sorted, if possible. It's ugly, but legal. :shrug:

After eyeballing the thing a bit closer this weekend, I'm convinced that the 'B' pillar is fine. I see a very small bend at the very top of the quarter panel, and I think it just buckled a bit there. But, I've been wrong before. :roll: We'll see.

108.jpg

Question: Are the deck lids and hinge mechanisms unique to the 'verts?