4T65 Shift Kit- 2004 Grand Prix Comp G

Addicted To Boost

I'd like to install a shift kit in the 04 Comp G when I drop the pan and change the fluid and filter... hopefully this will solve some of this transmissions quirkiness and firm everything up... My question is, what is a good shift kit for this transmission? I've seen kits from ZZP http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/259-4T65e-Shift-Kit.aspx , Thrasher, and Intense... The Intense kit looks like the most thorough kit with new accumulator springs, piston seals and everything. Is it worth the $100? Here's the kit I'm looking at: http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IR&Product_Code=TSP-651&Category_Code=3800_T

The other kits are cheaper, but come with fewer parts. Thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Addicted To Boost

either kit will get the job done. the intense kit does have more to it. but as for the improvement in shift the ZZP gives more flexibility. i would recommend a tune as well. yes you can physically increase the pressure in the trany. next i would go into the trany settings in the PCM and adjust them for the extra pressure and find out what is causing the quirkiness you are trying to rid yourself of. sometimes it can be TCC lock up or unlock that needs tweaked just a bit. dialing in trany settings really makes a car come alive!

I didn't know you could mess with TCC settings with a tuner. It's mostly firming up the shifts and having the TCC not lock/unlock so much under light throttle that I'm after. Right now, the shifts are too delayed and soft/slippy feeling. I rarely exceed 2,500 RPM in this car. Can I change these settings with a handheld tuner?

I'm not sure about doing it with a handheld, but with HP Tuners (or buy a custom tune from someone) you can.

I'd change a few settings with a tune before you throw a shift kit in there. I'm willing to bet you'll be happy enough after a tune to not need the kit.

Increasing line pressure will apply the clutches faster, giving you a faster, firmer shift. You can also mess with the TCC. Normally the solenoids that control the TCC are controlled by pulse width modulation, and have something like a 20-60-100% duty cycle. That smooths out TC lock and unlock for a more comfortable transition. By eliminating the duty cycle (when the converter is locked, those solenoids would go from 0% right to 100%) you can get much more positive TCC feedback.

There's tons of other parameters, but those two are pretty simple and should get you the results you're looking for.

Edited by oldscsc

^I've seen that guide. I was wanting to know if it'd be worth it to get the intense kit with new seals, springs and all versus just shimming it via that method. It's a nine year old car with 145k on it, so I'm not sure if it would benefit from having the new parts in it, in a addition to the shift kit.

^I've seen that guide. I was wanting to know if it'd be worth it to get the intense kit with new seals, springs and all versus just shimming it via that method. It's a nine year old car with 145k on it, so I'm not sure if it would benefit from having the new parts in it, in a addition to the shift kit.

"Shift-kitting" a transmission by disabling the accumulators is really hard on the transmission and the driveline. It's 1950's technology. I'm surprised to see such a barbaric practice still in use on an electronically-controlled transmission.

Really screws up the shift timing in terms of friction material apply/release synchronization.

I will say that with exception to mild improvements, I don't much care for shiftkits, I am for quick shifts that dont drag the crap outa the clutches. But overall I think its kinda dumb.

IIRC a common mod is to replace the 3-4 shift spring in the accumulator with a 1-2 spring (or is it the other way around) for a bit firmer of engagement, past that I would not do a shift kit period.

• 1 month later...

Reviving an old thread... the transmission is getting more quirky and encountering more minor slippage as it ages. I'd like to increase the line pressures and fix the torque converter clutch's retarded program... is there anyone on here that has HP Tuners or a similar program that would be able to do this? I'd gladly pay to have this adjusted. Whatever I can do to prolong the life of this transmission would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I found someone locally (who actually is really close by) on MNclubGP to tune it for me and HOLY HUGE DIFFERENCE! The stupid lock-unlock-lock-unlock that the TCC does is indeed part of GM's factory tune... the TCC is set to unlock at something like 25% throttle or less and it locks at like 27% throttle or more. So during cruising at light throttle, that was extremely annoying. That is now eliminated and the TCC is set to be locked at 1% or greater throttle and unlocked at 0% throttle. Also ditched torque management and changed shift times to 0. Increased transmission line pressures a good amount, on average it should be approximately 25 psi higher across the board.

Right now, the computer is in it's "relearn mode" so the shifts aren't as they should be yet and everything is on the soft side and delayed, but even in the retarded relearn mode it's in right now, it's already WORLDS better than it ever was in normal driving. No more slipping the crap out of the clutches and taking too long to change gears. Once the computer relearns how to function, I'll give another update on how it's doing. Much better so far though. We'll see if I have to have it tweaked any more.

Also, for what it's worth, I did a pan drop, replaced the transmission filter, cleaned the pan and magnet, and flushed the fluid out myself last week, so it has ALL fresh, clean fluid to start off with.

Edited by Addicted To Boost