Climate control and a whine

Disbass69

So I have a 1994 cutlass vert and it has the digital climate control

Last winter I had a vacuum leak and the front vents stopped working, I got that fixed and it all works now

About 3 months ago however my climate control started acting weird, It stays on and the screen freezes leaving the heat on where ever you left it. This was fine in the winter but now that it's warm it gets a little to warm. It will work for the first 20 mins after the car has been off for a couple hours but then it freezes and you have to leave the car off for a couple hours.

Do I need a whole new unit or is it something else?

Problem #2 It has a whine.

Can't figure it out, I thought it was the power steering but it gets louder when you get on the gas, Its been like this for a year since i bought it and i can't figure it out.

Anybody have any ideas on what it could be?

describe the whine.

quick test to see what it could be would be to remove the serpentine belt then spin as many pullies as you can by hand. if one of them is making significant noise, it may be your problem.

or you could be really unlucky and have it be the transmission.

I'll say a power steering pump is causing that. Mine used to sound very similar to that.

Turn the wheels to lock and does the sound get louder/higher pitched when you rev it?

Check your fluid if it's not full fill it up. I ended up draining all my power steering fluid and replaced with Bar's power steering fluid. Worked pretty good.

Yes it does ima try the draining and replacing once i actually get a day off anyone got any ideas on the climate control? can deal with the whine but the 90degree heat that's on in 80 degree weather is starting to become real hell lol

My 93 3.4 vert whines the same... I keeping adding stop leak power steering fluid as I have a line leak. It goes away with each add. Hopefully the stop leak will stop the leak. :thumbsup:(Hopefully) :thumbsup: I've noticed similar whines with many GMs of that era I pass on the streets!:roll:

:think:Climate Control, I dunno:think:

• 1 year later...

I see the last activity on this subject was in 2012 but I have a suggestion on the climate control issue. Last fall my 93 would only allow hot air through the vents. After replacing a blend door (which I now believe was perfectly ok) if didn't fix the problem. After researching it, I decided to replace the automatic temperature control sensor located under the clove box. It was plug and play. I found one on the internet. I replaced it and fixed my problem. Maybe it could be the sensor not working?

• 2 weeks later...