2001 Volvo V70 intercooler??

meltboy1

I picked one up today in great shape at the junkyard. I have been wanting to remove my AC from the car for a while, since I rarely drive it and I am pretty sure the compressor is shot.

The IC is about the same size as the condenser (i think that's what the radiator lookin part of the AC is called...lol)

but anyway, I was planning on removing that, mounting the IC in it's place. Centering the radiator and running the charge lines to it. I would need new coolant lines and some redneck ingenuity to set it up, but I think it will work.

I am just wondering if it is worth it and if I will see performance gains. If not I will put it on ebay for about $100 profit :)

I can't find any specs on it, I will keep looking... part number is 9161207 a

IMG_20120405_141904.jpg

IMG_20120405_141918.jpg

IMG_20120405_141913.jpg

lol yep, first one I met on here I think!

thanks, I figure it will be better than the stock shoe box of an intercooler the TGP comes with. I just didn't want to go through all the work if it wouldn't be worth it.

Probally wont be as efficent as a full FMIC but is definately an upgrade. I'd rather see you put the money into a FMIC that sits nicely in the front lip area

you don't need to change the IC its not necessary. forget the idea completely.

Why is that? It seems like it would get better air flow than the little shoebox behind everything.

I would like a FMIC, but this was only $31, so I figured I'd grab it. If someone could explain why it's a bad idea then I won't bother doing it.

I respect people's opinions here, but something as vague as that doesn't help me understand why.

Edited by meltboy1

its already a step up from a fmic, its a smic. there is 50 ways to improve on the stock system before its going to make any difference by changing the plumbing and everything else that goes with the front mounted ICs.

you can do what you want though, you will just take away from how cool it was stock though. just strip off the black finish and run bare aluminum blackstone made in america hand numbered unit