Performance Plenum Spacer. LQ1

chadz34

Interesting I wonder what kind of real world figures it's capable of adding. Would you need longer bolts for the plenum?

I think 100 dollars doesn't seem bad at all depending on what kinda of performance this item puts out/adds to the DOHC.

Its tough enough to find ANY parts for this engine to increase performance. And, great question about plenum bolts, as it doesnt specify it needs new ones.

BTW this LQ1 just got two stainless Magnaflow mufflers in place of the cherrybomb glasspacks. Its ALOT quieter and CLEANER! Clips up soon, best sounding LQ1 I've heard.

BTW this LQ1 just got two stainless Magnaflow mufflers in place of the cherrybomb glasspacks. Its ALOT quieter and CLEANER! Clips up soon, best sounding LQ1 I've heard.

Nice I have the same mufflers on my LQ1. I love the way my car sounds. Looking forward to hearing a sound clip.

Mark (D.O.H.C) was trying to sell the same thing recently IIRC...

couple of issues with the description: it does NOT add volume to the plenum, the plenum is the common are where all cylinders draw from, it adds volume to the runner.

and all things being equal, longer runners help low RPM power, not high RPM.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/inductionsystems.pdf

read that and you'll see why messing with runner volume and length can be a very bad idea. if you do everything right, you can see improvements, but a plastic spacer is not some magic piece of technology, otherwise all of the OEMs would be using them.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing this engine needs even longer runners/plenum than it already has. And 1 inch is really freaking thick. There may be clearance issues with the hood if used with the better 96-97 intakes, I'm not sure about the earlier ones. It definitely won't clear a strut tower brace.

so here is what they don't tell you

you need new bolts

will the egr tube stretch out an extra inch? i doubt it from all the LQ1 experience i have.

you need a longer hose for the coolant line that runs up to the throttle body

no way it'll clear a STB, hood clearance will be darn close and could rub the insulation

intake plumbing will also need addressed, probably have to move the airbox up or get a WAI or CAI

that's just what i can think of right now. for probably 0hp gain and maybe moving the torque peak down a tiny bit.

...AND the upper intake support brackets from rear cam carrier to upper intake will be too short. Will have to extend. Failure to support rear of upper intake will over-stress the upper-to-lower intake fasteners (specifically, the aluminum threads in the lower manifold.)

$100 for this is GROSSLY overpriced. Must be about a 300% profit margin.

Description sounds like it was engineered by high school students. The sort of high school students that get put in vocational courses, not the sort that take AP classes.

No, thanks. I'll pass.

Edited by Schurkey

I might be misreading your question...but why would you have to replace gaskets because you're replacing spark plugs? On 95 and older LQ1's, it's not necessary to remove the plenum to change plugs...96-97, though, it is...

http://www.cheetahonline.com/products-page/chevrolet/chevrolet-3-4l-dohc-intake-spacer-3/

Thoughts? Supposed to add straighter air velocity. I was gonna change the spark plugs in the LS with E3 plugs and while replacing gaskets I see that this thicker one is available, mind you, at 100$ isnt cheap.

I might be misreading your question...but why would you have to replace gaskets because you're replacing spark plugs? On 95 and older LQ1's, it's not necessary to remove the plenum to change plugs...96-97, though, it is...

Yeah, you must remove the plenum on 96-97 DOHC engines, and because the gaskets are thin rubber and paper style, I always just replace them because theyre cheap. Gives me easier peace of mind after I have everything back together. I bought a bunch in bulk from the auto parts store. E3 plugs are next for this motor, I have run of the mill AC Delco plugs in it now, and theyve been in there for a while. Going to pull the front 3 out and look at them, going to try E3 plugs.

As for this spacer, I think we can all agree, its not a good idea but I figured I'd post about it, because aftermarket for LQ1 is minimal and any new part I find, I do get a hard on for.:lol:

Yeah, you must remove the plenum on 96-97 DOHC engines, and because the gaskets are thin rubber and paper style, I always just replace them because theyre cheap. Gives me easier peace of mind after I have everything back together. I bought a bunch in bulk from the auto parts store. E3 plugs are next for this motor, I have run of the mill AC Delco plugs in it now, and theyve been in there for a while. Going to pull the front 3 out and look at them, going to try E3 plugs.

As for this spacer, I think we can all agree, its not a good idea but I figured I'd post about it, because aftermarket for LQ1 is minimal and any new part I find, I do get a hard on for.:lol:

Just stick with the ACDelcos. You aren't going to find anything better. And if the correct ones were installed in your 96, it is a platinum plug. Change interval is 100,000 miles.

I ain't buying it. There is no way 1 inch higher will clear the hood. And like somebody else said you would probably crack that tin foil excuse they call an egr tube.

Plus the runners have got to be over a foot long per cylinder already. I think that's more than enough to help even the power band.

Edited by gpchris

• 2 weeks later...

when i had my LQ1 it did not run well at all on iridium plugs...

that aside, this will not work on a 96-97 Lq1 as the ports are all inline on them.. these are staggered as in the 95 and older lq1's.

the 96+ did have longer runners. this could be the idea behind this spacer. as for hood clearance... on my 96 i had a STB that was more then 1" tall that sat above my UIM and it cleared the hood fine.

now is it worth $100? i'd say just swap to a 96-97 intake setup and call it a day.