Ac problem

ricklovin93

Not sure if I'm in the right section but oh we'll, I have a 96 CS my ac hasn't worked since I got the car, I was thinking of recharging it but I noticed that the compressor is not engagin, I read somewhere that a ac compressor will not turn on if it's low on refrigerant, is that true with gm compressors? What's the best way to check if my compressor is garbage?

This is true, the compressor will not turn on if it's low on refrigerant.

I know there's a way to jump the terminals in the fuse box but I can't remember how to do it. Usually what I do is buy an A/C recharging kit from a place like Autozone or Advance, and I put in the refrigerant with dye and stop leak in it. Then if it leaks out, I look for the dye and go from there. Chances are your condenser is probably bad, usually in the lower left corner they go bad and the refrigerant leaks out. Sometimes it's O-rings too. I've had to replace the condenser on every one of my W's and still have to do it on the black Z this year.

• 2 weeks later...

how am i supposed to put refrigerant in the system when it only says to do it when the compressor is on? should i put a little in until the compresor turns?

Yes, once it detects a certain charge in the system it will command the compressor on, it won't run otherwise. I've filled several systems this way.

You could always pop the top off the relay and engage it yourself, that way you know it's not borked, but you should be fine just filling it.

Make sure the A/C is on MAX and the fan is running full blast.

Find the relay for the AC compressor, pull the top off of it, put it back on the panel, and actuate the relay while the car is running.

I am not responsible for any damage this causes if your compressor siezes. :lol:

Be sure to use the UV dye. The leak could be anywhere. I have had to repair the AC in all 4 of my W-bodies and they've all had completely different problems. I've actually never had to touch a condenser.

I must have hit a rock, or something and it completely cracked my condenser last year.

So you can count on needing a new filter/dryer in addition to the recharge and a repaired/replaced condenser.

Might as well replace EVERY O-ring while you have the system apart.

Minimum special tools needed: Manifold gauges, vacuum pump, can tapper, various wrenches, and a leak detector.

Edited by Schurkey

i think its time to do an a/c delete

Gah! For me, A/C is more important than even having a stereo. It's right up their with the steering wheel and pedals. :lol:

Manifold gauge set isn't very expensive, I got mine from Harbor Freight. I've been told you can borrow the vacuum pump from an auto parts store. You're technically supposed to replace the receiver/dryer when you open the system, but I never have and it's never been a problem, not even in the long-term.

A/C work is actually pretty darn easy. Easier than swapping an alternator on the 3.4 DOHC by far.

I'll throw some refrigerant in it today if the compressor is toast I'm not even gonna bother fixing it.

If you haven't fixed the leak...how do you expect it to last?

If you haven't fixed the leak...how do you expect it to last?

We have not even established there IS a problem. The refrigerant might simply need refilled, as my '95 Grand Prix did. Never leaked out, either.

We have not even established there IS a problem. The refrigerant might simply need refilled, as my '95 Grand Prix did. Never leaked out, either.

Wrong. If there was no leak, the refrigerant would still be in there.

Internals-a.jpg

Pull off the plastic cover to the relay itself, should look similar to this. Put it back on the panel, start the car, and actuate the relay manually, and you should hear the compressor kick on.