turn signals

gp1991

Recently my turn signals have been acting up. When i want to signal left i have to hit it down and then push it up a little to get it to blink, however it will refuse to blink if the wheel is turned a certain way. My right turn signal always worked perfectly no matter which way the wheel was turned. Now however, my right turn signal will go on but only stay on and not blink in the front blinker, and the back wont light up at all. The right turn signal will blink if the stalk is in the perfect position. but it really needs to be messed with to find that right position. Is this a common problem and how can i go about fixing this?

^ That is probably what is happening.

Before you go out and replace your TSS. Go get a flasher from a parts store. Replace that and see what happens. Also check to make sure all your bulbs are good.

could said multifunction switch be cleaned, say with WD40?

Well, I know ken has had success at cleaning the older switches. 93-

But I don't know if I'd use WD40. Maybe get some electrical cleaner. They sell that kinda stuff in a spray can at the auto store. Might wanna give that a shot.

ok its not the flasher or a bulb, it will blink but i have to hold the stalk all the way up pushing on it, it will go solid only in the front if i let go of it.

If you take the steering wheel off to access the turn signal switch, you can bend the electrical contacts back a bit so they make good contact again. That's all that really goes wrong with these, they just lose tension. Just wipe them off with a paper towel or cloth, bend them until they work correctly, then put a light coat of dielectric grease on the contacts.