1997 Lumina Race Car ignition switch help!

anryu451

Hello!

I recently purchased a 1997 Lumina 3.1 to use in South Sound Speedway's (my local track) FWD V6 Bump-To-Pass class, subsequently we had to take out the dashboard for safety reasons and so that the required rollcage would fit, and the steering wheel was replaced with a quick disconnect style.

Because of these, we have this wierd slider style ignition switch that looks like it was activated with a rod, that was moved by the actual lock cylinder.

We still have the keys duct taped into the key cylinder for VATS which will be tucked up into the sheetmetal dashboard, but we would like to put the starter onto a pushbutton, and the ignition switch itself onto a two position (on-off), or three position toggle (on, off, acc if required) so we can ditch the slider.

The wires going into the ignition switch slider are colored Yellow (starter), Red (12V hot), Brown, Pink, Purple, a light brown tan colored one, and a Red with White Stripe. I would like to know what wires do what so we can wire them up to a toggle. As of right now, if I put some sort of small screwdriver into the hole for the slider switch, I can find all the positions (acc, off, start, run) and the car will start, no security light flashing on instrument cluster (like I said, VATS key is duct taped into cylinder, cylinder still wired up). Any suggestions?

I'd like to know how the switch works, like. Red is always hot, so what wires go hot in the run position? What needs to be grounded and when so we can get this wired up. It doesnt even have to be one switch, I've seen there are two ingition wires, brown and pink I think, if those need to be on seperate toggles so be it.

I know this isn't the exact info you are looking for, but it might be something worth looking into, for simplicity sake.

You can easily disable VATS.

Start the car.

Disconnect the wires from the cylinder to the VATS module. (should be orange wires inside a black sheath)

Wait until the security light comes on solid. Should take anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute (leave the car running the entire time).

When the security light comes on solid, the VATS is in "Fail-Enable" and you should be able to wire it up however you like without pissing off the VATS, so long as the module is still hooked up.

The module remembers the last value it saw, so if that value is within spec, your car will start every time. Even if you disconnect the battery. A member here disabled VATS, the car sat without a battery for 6 months, and it still started.

Edited by tornado_735

I appriciate that info, but the info I'm looking for is what colored wires going into the ignition switch do what.

There is the ignition switch module, and it has the following colored wires going into it: Red, Yellow, Orange, Pink, Purple, Brown, Red /w stripe, and a light brown or tannish smaller wire.

I know yellow is starter, red is 12 v hot.

But, I need to somehow figure out how to cut all those wires from the igntion switch, and wire them to a toggle switch instead, with the starter hooked up to a push botton. So if I need to start the car, I could just flip a toggle switch to the on position, and hit a starter button and its running.

Off hand I know that the large red wire is hot at all times, sending power to the ignition switch. Pink is hot with ignition, this is the wire that needs power to see ignition. And yellow is the signal for the starter, it will crank when this wire sees power.