1990 Turbo Grand Prix

dominicsilvestri

Hello--does anyone know of someone in San Diego who can help me with this car? I am looking for a former GM tech or somebody else who knows these cars well. I can't really afford to pay dealer prices to keep this thing running.

They aren't terribly difficult to work on. If you have some tools and are mechanically apt, you can do it. We are here for you if you have any questions. :cool:

They aren't terribly difficult to work on. If you have some tools and are mechanically apt, you can do it. We are here for you if you have any questions. :cool:

Well I appreciate that a lot. I probably have no business messing with the car because I live in a condo where i am not allowed to wrench in the garage. Right now the car is at a former Pontiac dealer who is telling me I need an ABS accumulator and that with parts and labor it will be close to $600 to fix. By the way, your GTP is really really sharp.

His name is Chris Nigro and is located in San Jose. Fmr12B is his SN.

He also lives in a condo of sorts and I'm not sure what his community rules are on wrenching on cars.

I do know he had my vert diagnosed at a GM dealer if that's an indication of anything.

Part number for the accumulator is 88927271 or 18M874

Labour involved with replacing the accumulator is depressurizing the master cylinder (pump the brake pedal 40 times with ignition off). Remove upper charge pipe (between intercooler and throttle body) for easier access. Using welded nut on the top of the accumulator, unscrew it using a series of extensions and a universal joint with the appropriate sized socket, from the master cylinder.

Make sure your new accumulator has an o-ring on it or reuse the old one if need be (and its in good shape)

Reinstall the accumulator.

Turn the ignition on and allow the system to pressurize, look for any leaks.

Have someone apply steady pressure on the brake pedal, and bleed the master at both the bleeders (one on each side of the master) until no air is seen coming out.

Depressurize the system again (40 pumps) Remove cap, top up the fluid level, reinstall cap.

Reinstall upper charge pipe.

Happy motoring

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt--the car right now is with the "driveability" tech at the Pontiac dealer--yikes. But I bought the car right so I have some room to play with. I will get it out of there shortly and take it over to a more reasonably priced shop. Your brake tech info will be very helpful. Thanks again. Dominic