95 Grand Prix, No Crank, Intermitant problem

bugsey

I hvea 95 Grand Prix that is giving me fits. Sometimes it won't crank over.All the lights, bells, chimes, and whistles come on but it won't crank. No nothing when the key is turned to start position. After about 1/2 hr itwill fire right up. I put a new battery in it ( the old one was ancient )and yesterday I replaced the Ign switch. ( I took it apart and found that one of the contacts was burnt through.).It started right up. This morning, it wouldn't crank again. I put a jumper wire to the starter soleniod and it cranked over. Tried the key again and it started right up.It's been starting ever since. Any suggestions? Where did they hide the starter relay? I guess that that is the next thing to replace. I hate to just replace parts but I'm stumped.

This sounds exactly like what I have been dealing with ever since I bought my car. One day I measured the voltage at the starter solenoid and noticed that I only had about 6 volts there, which apparently is not enough to activate the starter. This meant the voltage dropped a lot when the circuit went inside the car.

I ended up running my own wire with a relay to the starter to a switch inside the car so I could start my car whenever it gave me a problem. I never really found out what the cause of this was, but a little over a year ago I noticed that my car had just over 13 volts while it was running. I figured this should have been somewhere closer to 14.4 so I ended up adding 4 gauge cables from the alternator to the auxiliary post, and from there to the battery. I also added a cable from the battery to the ground. After doing this I've only had the starting problem maybe 3 times in over a year. Now my voltage with the engine running is also at 14.4 or higher.

Good idea about wiring in another solenoid. I found an old Ford starter relay, mounted it on the firewall, tapped into the ignition swith , ran a new wire from the batt tap to the soleniod and from the solenoid to the the starter. I unhooked the original wire fromthe starter and fired it up. Works like it's supposed to. I don't think that I.ll have any more trouble from that area.

Now how about the driver window that goes down but don't want to roll back up. Wait 10 min. and it works fine. It doesn't seem to be dragging. It just don't go up. Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Bugsey

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the very common starter (/relay) problem.

With an OBD-II scanner with diag display, you can verify if the ECM is sending a start signal. That verifies that there is not a VATS/etc problem.