Manual Fan Switches

skitchin

This weekend I finally got around to installing manual fan switches on my car, you know, now that it's cool out LOL. Anyhow, something screwy's going on now. After I turn my key off, and while the switches are off, one of my fans is coming on. I turn the key into the Accessory position, and it turns off, and stays off when I turn the key back off. What's weird is, when I was testing, and from what I've read, that fan shouldn't turn on with the key off. I might have something screwed up in my wiring and I'll be digging through that after work, just wondering if ya'll had any suggestions in the mean time.

Bah, somethings wired wrong. I disconnected my ground supply from my LED rocker switch and the LED lit up, despite the fact I didn't run any power sources... Gah, now I'm really curious to see wtf is going on. I'm hooked into the same pin on the relay for fan #1, so why isn't that fan acting up?

I added some switches for them back in the summer(just before that meet in IL actually), just got around to doing it now. I like to let my motor cool when I put it away, so the idea is that I can run these when I pull into the neighborhood and get some excess heat out before I hit my garage.

Have been thinking about switching to a lower temp thermostat in addition to this, but it seems like too low and you'll just burn out your water pump + constantly rob yourself of power.

Convert to OBD2, add 97 Lumina PCM, install 180 stat, tune fan turn on temps.

Problem?!?!:lol:

Been considering a motor swap or at least top swap somewhere down the road, will need to go obd 2 then. But then I have to find a new DIC :(

Also had an idea, people are always asking about their second fan never coming on. You could run a jumper wire between the two relays so that both fans kicked on when the one does. <-My reason for why I ran a switch for each fan, instead of one on both like I had originally planned.

Why do you need to manually control your fans? Unless your running a low temp thermostat, trying to keep the coolant temp below 210 by manually running the fans is kinda flirting with disaster as your thernostat is hardly even opening.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Why do you need to manually control your fans? Unless your running a low temp thermostat, trying to keep the coolant temp below 210 by manually running the fans is kinda flirting with disaster as your thernostat is hardly even opening.

Dually noted. I know I won't have much use for them until it starts getting hot out again. I sit in a lot of traffic going to work, will be nice to kick both fans on before it gets hot enough to need them.

Think I fixed my problem. My switches are lighted rockers, and I had initially spliced the two grounds(which aren't used in this case) between the switches. My switch has 3 leads; Earth, Load, Supply - and apparently grounds the Load when the switch is in the off position, no good. I disconnected the original ground wire since supply is hooked to ground. Will have to wait and see if anything else funky happens.

Are the fans still powered normally through the stock wiring, or did you run new power and ground wires? If it is through the stock wiring i believe it switches ground on/off and would allow the relay to stay energized. If you want to use the stock wiring you would need a double pole relay to make/break contact with positive and negative. You can use one wire and connect 2 relays in parallel. There are a number of wiring options if you are looking for thermostatic control with a switched override.

Normal wiring, I just piggybacked my wire down into the relay block and plugged the relay in on top of it. Have a wire for each relay going to ground switches to pull the relay to low manually.