pushrod guides or no?

brake

When ordering a replacement LIM gasket set, do I need gaskets with or without pushrod guides? Every parts depot I've seen has listed both and I don't want to wait until I have my manifold off before I can order one.

Any idea which a 96 3100 would need?

No, there are no guides per say... The LIM has 'buldges' that go around each pushrod. and if your refering to that plastic peice on top of the lifters, it for the lifters and not the pushrods... Ive never seen anywhere listed with pushrods guides..

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # IG3146 MoreInfo2.png

us.gif ca.gif SET; 1ST DESIGN; Int. Gasket; w/o Pushrod Guides On Int. Gasket

FEL-PRO Part # MS90562 MoreInfo2.png Set Heart.png

us.gif ca.gif 2nd Design; w/Roller rocker arms; w/Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. not incl.; Upper set incl.; Manifold bolts not incl.; Manifold bolt replacement recommended

VICTOR REINZ Part # MS16166P MoreInfo2.png Includes Plenum Gasket; 1st Design without Push Rod Guides on Intake Gasket

us.gif ca.gif Contains Premium Grade Intake Manifold Gaskets

pretty much every one lists either with or without pushrod guides.

I go buy from the dealer. They use the vin to get the right ones. Thats how i got the new style gaskets for my moms impala.

Neat. I gotta go in there tomorrow anyway.

Thanks everybody.

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # IG3146 MoreInfo2.png

us.gif ca.gif SET; 1ST DESIGN; Int. Gasket; w/o Pushrod Guides On Int. Gasket

FEL-PRO Part # MS90562 MoreInfo2.png Set Heart.png

us.gif ca.gif 2nd Design; w/Roller rocker arms; w/Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. not incl.; Upper set incl.; Manifold bolts not incl.; Manifold bolt replacement recommended

VICTOR REINZ Part # MS16166P MoreInfo2.png Includes Plenum Gasket; 1st Design without Push Rod Guides on Intake Gasket

us.gif ca.gif Contains Premium Grade Intake Manifold Gaskets

pretty much every one lists either with or without pushrod guides.

Ok what this is referring to is if you have fulcrum roller rockers or the ball type rocker. Thats the difference between the two, and thats what you need to know when you go buying the set. More than likely yours being a '96, it will have fulcrum roller rockers.

When you take the intakes off, your motor will basically look like this:

Picture-05098.jpg

Theres no pushrod guides, its just how they designate the difference between fulcrum roller rockers and non-fulcrum rollers...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the ball pivot rockers have steel guides bolted under the rocker studs like the Gen2 60* motors. If you have the roller fulcrum then you don't have the handy pushrod 'holder' there to hold the pushrods in place during assembly, which is why they have the gasket sets with 'guides'. They don't perform any mechanical function during operation like the older style, they just make it a minute amount easier to install the pushrods.

I personally like to install the intake pushrods first, and while getting the rocker snugged down I put my finger down the intake port to make sure it is pointing towards the same valve I am tightening. If it doesnt point to the same valve then it is in the wrong spot. This makes it easier to avoid mixing up pushrods since you only have exhaust pushrods to install once the intake pushrods are done.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the ball pivot rockers have steel guides bolted under the rocker studs like the Gen2 60* motors. If you have the roller fulcrum then you don't have the handy pushrod 'holder' there to hold the pushrods in place during assembly, which is why they have the gasket sets with 'guides'. They don't perform any mechanical function during operation like the older style, they just make it a minute amount easier to install the pushrods.

I personally like to install the intake pushrods first, and while getting the rocker snugged down I put my finger down the intake port to make sure it is pointing towards the same valve I am tightening. If it doesnt point to the same valve then it is in the wrong spot. This makes it easier to avoid mixing up pushrods since you only have exhaust pushrods to install once the intake pushrods are done.

The 3.1mpfi had pushrod guides, but the 3x00 never got em.

The early 3100's had ball pivot rockers and some early heads were not notched for roller fulcrum rockers. I can't see a gasket being used to control the pushrod so I was guessing they also used guides under the rocker studs. Anyone have pics of a 3100 with ball pivots?

If this is anything like the V-8 engines, the pushrod guides IN THE GASKET have NO function AFTER the engine is assembled.

They are a "helpful tool" to hold the pushrods in line DURING ASSEMBLY.

If you can corral the pushrods yourownself as the heads 'n' rocker arms are installed, the guides in the gasket are un-needed.

The question for me--since I haven't seen the gaskets in person--is whether there are OTHER differences aside from the pushrod guides.

Try the dealer first. The intake gasket I got for my moms 3400 was the new style kit, with new intake bolts, upper intake gaskets included. It is suggested to you that you do the oil pump drive seal while there and valve cover gaskets as well. When i did my moms impala, I did the lower and upper intake gaskets, oil pump drive seal, rear coolant seal, crossover seal, valve cover gaskets, and the thermostat. Also did the water pump because it looked like it had seeped before. Instead of that dexcool crap i went with peak.