2G "Big Brake" Upgrades

pwmin

I'm finally going to have some money and the first thing I'm going to do is get rid of my squeaking brakes. Since I'm going to replace rotors and everything I want to just do it right this time. I want to go the biggest/best I can but still be able to use stock wheels for the winter. It looks like the 12" 4G f-body brake setup is the right choice. Has anyone on here done this? I'm pretty sure I'll need the following: brackets, calipers and bolts from donor car, f-body pads and rotors (going with EBC 3GD and Red Stuff), SS lines and a tap to use the f-body bolts. Any input on whether that's right or other opinions will be appreciated. I am going to do the rears later. My next priority will be redoing the struts/mounts/springs as the setup I have now is noisy garbage. I'm going to start to mess w/ making coilovers with the old stuff after it's off, so I'll just go with GR2's, new mounts and different springs for now...going to look for some Intrax springs, but I doubt I'll find any. I like the ride height it's at right now, but these springs are junk and I had to cut the rear ones to level it out :extrapuke:

Edited by pwmin

I'm liking the 06+ impala brake swap. I helped a friend get started on it... he said the brake response of the 06+ caliper was better than the f-body swap, as the F body caliper requires more flow... if that info is correct, the piston volume is basically larger with the f-body caliper resulting in further pedal travel unless you could swap in a larger master cylinder......

do some research?

I'm liking the 06+ impala brake swap. I helped a friend get started on it... he said the brake response of the 06+ caliper was better than the f-body swap, as the F body caliper requires more flow... if that info is correct, the piston volume is basically larger with the f-body caliper resulting in further pedal travel unless you could swap in a larger master cylinder......

do some research?

like as in researching the impala brakes or you're just being a dick saying I didn't do any research? :D

I'll look into it. The reason I liked the f-body calipers is because they're dual piston aluminum. IDK about the Impy brakes but the GXP ones are 12.7" and won't fit 16's.

Edited by pwmin

I've heard that the F-bodies can be spongy as well, but are overall worth the upgrade. You can also go the one step further with the F-body brakes and get C5 calipers. I don't know anybody with them, but they might not be as spongy as the F-bodies.

I've heard that the F-bodies can be spongy as well, but are overall worth the upgrade. You can also go the one step further with the F-body brakes and get C5 calipers. I don't know anybody with them, but they might not be as spongy as the F-bodies.
I've heard of using them, too, but I though you needed a special adapter or something. Seems weird to me that they'd be spongy with their design, but IDK. Other thing I like is that they're lighter.

Monte Carlo SS brakes are a direct bolt on swap, I have them on my regal and the response is much better than stock
what size are they? are they dual-piston? what lowering springs do you have?

What's the problem with pedal response on the 2G cars? My '02 GP has pedal like RIGHT NOW. You put your foot on it, it slows down. It's got the best pedal I've probably ever felt on a GM car, compared to my '96 Monte, '91 Lumina, and '91 Regal.

What's the problem with pedal response on the 2G cars? My '02 GP has pedal like RIGHT NOW. You put your foot on it, it slows down. It's got the best pedal I've probably ever felt on a GM car, compared to my '96 Monte, '91 Lumina, and '91 Regal.

Because they still suck, and there are upgrades!

Guess I haven't ever had a car with REALLY good brakes then. Cause my GP will throw you through the damn windshield on a hard stop.

Now... my 1/1.5g cars? NEVER. Those brakes are a joke.

what size are they? are they dual-piston? what lowering springs do you have?

Im pretty sure they are 12", not dual piston... But you CANT run a 15 inch wheel with them, they are too big... I have Eibach springs on GR2 struts

Heres a pic of how well they fill the wheel well

2011-11-18151727.jpg

Its the only decent pic I have of the wheel where you can see the brakes
oh, got ya. i was thinking you were showing a picture of wheel gap...wtf guess i wasn't paying attention :lol: Edited by pwmin

Guess I haven't ever had a car with REALLY good brakes then. Cause my GP will throw you through the damn windshield on a hard stop.

Now... my 1/1.5g cars? NEVER. Those brakes are a joke.

x2 The gen 1 brakes are garbage, I love how smooth they are, but you really gotta press on it. Especially coming down from a fast speed.

looks like I'm getting a whole f-body setup from my friend...used, but it'll be like 1/4 of the price of new, and everything is still serviceable for a while. He's going to the GXP setup (12.7 f, 12 r)

looks like I'm getting a whole f-body setup from my friend...used, but it'll be like 1/4 of the price of new, and everything is still serviceable for a while. He's going to the GXP setup (12.7 f, 12 r)

The F-body brake swap isn't a direct bolt-on. IIRC you have to drill and tap out the holes on the f-body brackets for everything to bolt up. I think that's the only issue though.

I bought all the parts for the F-body brake swap earlier this year. Cost me $45 shipped for the rotors and brackets. Its nice that they're dual piston and all aluminum to boot. I still have to install them, but I'm hesitant to drill out the original holes to tap them with a hand drill as I don't have access to a drill press.

The F-body brake swap isn't a direct bolt-on. IIRC you have to drill and tap out the holes on the f-body brackets for everything to bolt up. I think that's the only issue though.

I bought all the parts for the F-body brake swap earlier this year. Cost me $45 shipped for the rotors and brackets. Its nice that they're dual piston and all aluminum to boot. I still have to install them, but I'm hesitant to drill out the original holes to tap them with a hand drill as I don't have access to a drill press.

yeah, it's either drill/tap or use a sleeve, but ZZP now uses ones that already have the w-body threads. I'm getting them used from a friend, so I don't have to worry about that.

• 9 months later...