Cassette adapter won't eject from '92 factory deck

crazyd

I had been using a cassette adapter for my MP3 player like everyone else, but since it sounded so awful I wired it straight into the head. Still needed to have a cassette in there so that it would switch inputs, but then it started making this constant clicking sound and won't reverse or eject. Is there a way to get this thing out and make the clicking stop?

mine did that with my 91 radio, took the whole thing apart and there was a little thing i had to push back, like a spring or something cant really remember. Then i put it back together and tried it again and it got stuck again. I just went to the junkyard and got one out of a 93 that works.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I haven't used the cassette deck since I bought this car nearly 15 years ago, and it still makes the clicking as the auto-reverse mechanism tries to switch sides until I press SEEK.  Admittedly it's just a nuisance, but I'm determined to fix it once and for all. 

Has anyone tried to disable the cassette deck altogether?

I had it disassembled yesterday to tweak my aux input wiring for a new Bluetooth adapter I got, and there's a lot of potential connectors inside there that I could simply disconnect.  Unless someone knows which one would actually do it, I'm just going to start unplugging them randomly and see what happens, hopefully without affecting my AUX IN bypass through the cassette circuit.  What I'm shooting for is for the tape player input to be my AUX IN for the Bluetooth adapter, and the FM radio for  SiriusXM when I switch it with the STOP-PLAY button.

I've decided against upgrading the factory unit because of the weird 1.5 din size and shallow mount, and the challenges associated with integrating the steering wheel controls.  I don't want a fugly single-din sticking out with the cheap plastic bezel showing behind it.  I happen to like the "sea of buttons" interior design, and until there is a way to fit a mechless touchscreen there with full integration of the steering wheel controls and it looks OEM, I'm not changing it!  :biggrin:   We're getting closer but I still haven't found anything that does what I want how I want it yet.

I thank you for keeping the factory look and feel to the stereo system.  I agree, those aftermarket units look awful!  If anything, there's got to be some good repair places that can rebuild it if you don't or can't mess with it