Good oil change interval?

gr8shot

Wondering what's the norm for you guys? I was thinking about going 4-5k per change.

Its a 96 cutlass, with a great running 3.1. Just had HG and intake gaskets done a few thousand miles ago right before I bought it. I changed the oil right after I bought it after running less than 1k miles just in case there was any coolant mixed in that was left over, and I just changed it again about 400 miles ago.

The miles I put on it are 99% highway so I figure I should be ok going a little longer than 3k. I use Valvoline conventional oil in all my vehicles so it'll have regular 5w-30 in it.

Any thoughts? Should I go longer, shorter?

Also is 28-29mpg about normal for these cars? My dad always has cars with the 3.8 and they'll regularly get over 30mpg.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• gr8shot

• Schurkey

• GnatGoSplat

I too drive 95-96% highway, and have been going about 6k miles between oil changes.

Make sure you're using a good quality filter. I use Fram Tough Guard, but others recommend Wix.

When I sent my oil in for analysis to Blackstone Laboratories it was when my old engine had 180,000 miles on it. They said that with the GM 3.1 engines they recommended to OCIs of 4,000 miles per on conventional from what they've seen from the other oil analysis of 3.1 engines. They said that the higer the miles the shorter your OCIs should be, but they said 4,000 OCIs were fine up until 200,000 where the recommended reverting to 3,000 on conventional to be safe.

I currently run a 10,000 mile OCI with Mobile 1 Extended + a Bosch Distance Plus filter + Magnetic drain plug. I'm also running a new engine with an oil cooler so 10,000 miles would be a lot for an older one or one without an oil cooler.

Personally, I go 3,000 on it. But this winter that may change since I'm pretty much only driving in the city and my car never warms up.

That could be argued as a reason to change it just as often, not at longer intervals. Oil is designed to hold contaminants. Whether the engine is hot or cold, it will keep getting and holding contaminants.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

When I sent my oil in for analysis to Blackstone Laboratories it was when my old engine had 180,000 miles on it. They said that with the GM 3.1 engines they recommended to OCIs of 4,000 miles per on conventional from what they've seen from the other oil analysis of 3.1 engines. They said that the higer the miles the shorter your OCIs should be, but they said 4,000 OCIs were fine up until 200,000 where the recommended reverting to 3,000 on conventional to be safe.

I currently run a 10,000 mile OCI with Mobile 1 Extended + a Bosch Distance Plus filter + Magnetic drain plug. I'm also running a new engine with an oil cooler so 10,000 miles would be a lot for an older one or one without an oil cooler.

That assumes that oil degrades due to heat. An evidence to support that an oil cooler has any benefit at all in our cars? In fact, its a bad idea because your engine is designed to run at a specific oil weight, and cooling the oil causes that viscocity to change.

I would guess that depends on the type of oil cooler, If adding a factory cooler I cannot imagine it causing any ill effects, especially since the police impala 3800's have liquid to air oil coolers, some Bonnevilles have liquid to liquid oil coolers and both my 3.4 and 3.1 have factory coolers.

Now say you were over-cooling it by some aftermarket means then you might have problems.

That could be argued as a reason to change it just as often, not at longer intervals. Oil is designed to hold contaminants. Whether the engine is hot or cold, it will keep getting and holding contaminants.

No, I'm planning on changing more frequently in the winter because I don't drive as much anymore, so 3,000 may be all winter long, and since it never warms up there's always condensation in the oil.

Thanks for all the input guys. I normally run an ac delco filter or pretty much something better than fram lol. Whatever is available that's less than $10.

I think ill stick with the original idea of 4k miles. It'd be nice to go longer but oil is cheap. A lot cheaper to change this car than 10qts in my duramax and a lot better mileage too! My drive is 116 miles round trip Monday thru Friday so I rack up the miles in a hurry. Been a great car so far. Couldn't ask for more for $1500!!

That assumes that oil degrades due to heat. An evidence to support that an oil cooler has any benefit at all in our cars? In fact, its a bad idea because your engine is designed to run at a specific oil weight, and cooling the oil causes that viscocity to change.

GM included it by default on some 3.1 engines. The crate LG8 3.1 I got had it from the factory....so apparently GM thought it was needed for some models. Now I'd be crazy if I added an additional cooler to the factory one! :lol:

Edited by ptcfast2

I did oil sampling on my first 3.4 back in the Nineties. Changed it at 6K, oil sample always came back "Oil fit for further use". There was one exception at around 70--80K, the thermostat failed, engine wouldn't warm up properly, and the oil sample taken then showed moisture contamination.

Back then, I would drain the oil from my 3.4 into a clean drain pan...and then pour it INTO my work truck or the lawn mower, or whatever engine was low at the time. I did this with complete confidence because the oil sample proved it was still usable oil.

I have every expectation that when used for longer-distance trips, dumping the oil at 10,000 miles would not be pushing it. There is ONE way to find out what your oil change interval should be...have the oil analyzed; not one time but several.

My Trailblazer typically goes 13K between changes; based on the oil life indicator built into the dashboard display.

Edited by Schurkey

I did oil sampling on my first 3.4 back in the Nineties. Changed it at 6K, oil sample always came back "Oil fit for further use". There was one exception at around 70--80K, the thermostat failed, engine wouldn't warm up properly, and the oil sample taken then showed moisture contamination.

Back then, I would drain the oil from my 3.4 into a clean drain pan...and then pour it INTO my work truck or the lawn mower, or whatever engine was low at the time. I did this with complete confidence because the oil sample proved it was still usable oil.

I have every expectation that when used for longer-distance trips, dumping the oil at 10,000 miles would not be pushing it. There is ONE way to find out what your oil change interval should be...have the oil analyzed; not one time but several.

My Trailblazer typically goes 13K between changes; based on the oil life indicator built into the dashboard display.

Those oil life indicators are such garbage. I haven't yet seen one that's accurate or a good depiction of when to change your oil. I and many other people ignore them altogether.

If the cooler is necessary, I suppose it may make sense to use it, but as Chris pointed out earlier, care must be taken to ensure that the oil cooler isn't too large.

For the record, there was always a noticeable difference in the way the engine felt on acceleration in my 95 Regal with the L27 if I ever let it go past 3500 miles on an oil change. It was repeatable, every time, regardless of what type of oil I used. It just felt rougher, so I stopped trying to get more out of my oil and just replaced it every 3k.

My lmm duramax used to barely make it 3k on the dic when it had the dpf and stock exhaust. Now that I got rid of the emissions garbage I change it around 7500 miles and it still reads between 20-30% oil life. Its amazing.

Once I get a few bucks ahead I'd like to send in a sample for the car at 4k and one from the truck at 7000+ and see how they fair.

Thanks for all the input guys. I normally run an ac delco filter or pretty much something better than fram lol. Whatever is available that's less than $10.

I think ill stick with the original idea of 4k miles. It'd be nice to go longer but oil is cheap. A lot cheaper to change this car than 10qts in my duramax and a lot better mileage too! My drive is 116 miles round trip Monday thru Friday so I rack up the miles in a hurry. Been a great car so far. Couldn't ask for more for $1500!!

Actually driving a lot of miles is best for the engine. Unless it's city driving or stop and go, if the engine warms up and runs for a while like that it's the best conditions.

Andrie, there is a lot of research and testing and various perameters that go into the oil life systems.

That may be, but that research was done by GM, and I have heard that the intervals can be quite unreasonable from many people and can't be trusted. I don't exactly recall why though.

I swear by the oil life indicator in my cars, even the more primitive one in the DIS of the 89 Cutlass (which is almost always ~4000-5000 miles). I'm pretty sure it can be trusted, ALL my vehicles already have more miles than any normal human being would have kept them for, with no signs of ever quitting.

Jeremy has already traded vehicles maybe 20-times in the amount of time I've had my NEWEST one.

The oil life indicator in my Cutlass is spot on. Depending on what kind of oil I've used, it's gone off between 3k and 6k miles. The one common factor though, is the condition, texture, smell and color of the oil when using my oil life indicator, no matter what kind of oil I'm using. Valvoline Next Gen was my change of oil and it seems to get a good stretch. I'll be due for another change in the near future and I'm at about 5k on this oil so far.

That may be, but that research was done by GM, and I have heard that the intervals can be quite unreasonable from many people and can't be trusted. I don't exactly recall why though.

Huh? GM wasn't the first to have an oil life system.

Years ago, my oil sample kits went to the Cummins (I think) lab that was fairly local to me--a few hundred miles away.

More recently, I got the kits from Detroit Diesel, in a package of ten or twelve. They ship off to one of several labs across the country. At the time I bought them, they were about fifteen bucks apiece, plus postage to get 'em to the lab.