Good oil change interval?

gr8shot

So I should start spending $20 to have my oil analyzed to see if I can go longer on a $16 oil change??

Might as well lock this thread Mods, we have been down this river once before, it got nowhere.

Change your oil whenever you feel like it. Trying to convince someone otherwise is like saying their religion or lack of religion is wrong.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• gr8shot

• Schurkey

• GnatGoSplat

Thanks for telling me what to do :)

In the interest of keeping this open please only post if you have something constructive to add as there is some genuinely good information in here.

I actually gave a suggestion, never did tell you what to do.

Yep. He did say "might as well."

I change mine when the DIS or DIC tells me to. Usually before or right after it starts beebing like crazy.

I guess I might be an exception to all these supposed rules. No DIC or DIS, smaller pulley, 3.29 FDR headers, mods, and my lead foot. Perhaps I don't trust the oils I use in the L67 to put up with the abuse I give the motor.

I have a system with mine that actually works, although quite by accident :lol:

I have a slight leak and/or burn in my car. When it first goes slightly low I add the extra half quart I always have from my change. The next time, I change it. Usually ends up being between 3k and 4k, and the oil is NASTY then.

Now, in a motor that didn't have all sorts of issues, I would probably go towards 5k, maybe 6.

Well I ordered two sample kits from Blackstone labs. I will take a sample from the olds 3.1 at 4000 miles and adjust accordingly. Also going to do an analysis on the dmax as I've ran this oil quite a while longer than I'd like to so I want to see how it fares to the analysis as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I ran the oil in my 96 Cutlass for probably 7500ish miles once, but at that time I was maybe putting on 6k mi/yr in that car. Definitely should've changed it sooner than that but it wasn't my DD at the time so I didn't really watch it like I'd watch my daily. I periodically checked it and it didn't seem bad, and when I changed it it wasn't even as terrible as my mom's Kia's oil with 4k miles. Now I do regular 3.5-4k changes on my Intrigue, but I also usually add a quart or more between changes (the mysterious Intrigue oil eating syndrome). I'm sure I could push for more miles between changes but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially with the picky LX5.

I've only changed the oil in my 3.1 once in the ~100k km's /8 years I've owned it (other than the initial oil change when I bought it), and that was because the LIM failed and dumped coolant into the oil, requiring me to open up the engine and replace the LIM. When I opened it (~60k km's into the oil change), there was no sludge and everything was clean.

I use Esso XD-3 0W-30 motor oil, which is full synthetic. I change the filter every 20-30k per GM's recommendation adjusted for the size of filter I use. Fuel consumption is still below spec; can drive 800km on one tank on the highway (500 miles). Still on the same air filter than when I bought it.

If you figure every oil change costs $25 in parts, and another $30 in time better doing other stuff -- compared to 5k km oil changes, I've saved ~$1000 already, which, ironically, is probably what the car is worth on paper these days. My maintenance dollars are far better used fixing other stuff, rather than changing oil.

note: 1.6km = 1 mile.

edit: I don't do sampling, or any of the scientific oil analysis stuff, although I did that in a former job. Only big thing I keep an eye on these days is fuel consumption, and the coolant quantity. In fact, I check coolant quantity every few weeks. The ppl who dump their oil every 3k or 5k, quite frankly...... Brand new oil is actually bad for your engine, bad for your O2 sensors, bad for the cats, bad for the upper intake stuff that has to breathe the vapours, bad for the IAC, etc. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that it is critical to keep the oil quantity watched. If you let it run down a quart or two, the remaining oil will be subjected to exponentially (per the Arrhenius equation) greater stress.

Edited by pitzel

What kind of driving do you do? Do you do alot of highway or all short trips in town

Its either very short trips in town (ie: 5-10 minutes, tops), or very long trips (4+ hours continuous, without stops).

In Canada, generally very flat land, temperatures do not get very hot.

Its either very short trips in town (ie: 5-10 minutes, tops), or very long trips (4+ hours continuous, without stops).

In Canada, generally very flat land, temperatures do not get very hot.

Not like it would matter. Your thermostat will keep it at 195 degrees whether its 40 degrees or 90 degrees outside.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

Not like it would matter. Your thermostat will keep it at 195 degrees whether its 40 degrees or 90 degrees outside.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

On the highway, of course, but in the city, its quite common to see it 200-220 (as read from the ECU).

I change my oil in the 97 silverado every 3k miles and its kinda say. first oil change at 3,000 Looked new. I ran sea foam in the motor (vac line), and drove the hell out of it for a week,, the last 3k mile oil change was kinda dark.. But had Clumps of sludge come out. (next oil change im putting seafoam in the crank case then changeing the oil.

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but I have had the oil sample sitting on the shelf in my garage waiting for me to remember to grab it and send it in. I finally grabbed it today and will be sending it out shortly. Should have the results before too long. Ill post back when I have them.

Oil was ran just a hair under 4000 miles. If the analysis comes back good I'm going to send in another sample after 5000 miles and see how it fares and so on until I find the optimal interval for this particular 3.1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oil sampling is the only way to know for sure.

Some folks will tell you it isn't worth the cost of the sampling kit, just change the oil more often... That would not be my advice. I take a few samples from a vehicle I recently acquired; or that I've freshened the engine of...and when I have a stable baseline, I quit sampling unless there's some problem.

Right now, I've got my '93 Euro 3.4 in the garage, towed it ~70 miles home this morning because it left me stranded last night. Good thing it wasn't usual January weather, it wasn't even below zero (1 degree F.)

Seems the thermostat stuck shut. Temp gauge was pegged at 260, overflow bottle FULL of coolant, upper rad hose hard as hell, but the hose wasn't hot. Complicating factor is that the battery died at the same time. I'll sample that oil looking for signs of metal or oil breakdown. Otherwise I'm very comfortable with 6K oil changes on my 3.4s.

Oil sampling is the only way to know for sure.

THIS.

i generally run about 3-5K mile changes using conventional oil, if i were using synthetic, i would likely change the filter (at least) twice for every change of the synthetic, since generally you can run them for a significantly longer period before they become unsuitable for continued usage.

I dont know why even debate over the delay of a $30 oil change! The damaging effects of not changing your oil will show later in the life of your car when it gets into the high mileage area.

Oil is designed to lubricate and disperse heat. Sure you can change your oil that still may be suitable at 5k miles, but it isnt 100% suitable. Just because your oil is not considered

"trash" that doesnt mean you should keep using it in your beloved engine, you should use new oil ASAP to make sure your engine is ALWAYS properly lubricated and ALWAYS clean and not overheating, if you use 5k oil, your engine has to work harder, and parts wear faster.

Pushing off a $30 oil change can maybe save you up to $60 a year, how many oil changes can you really delay. Ok you saved $60-80 , but after 5 yrs you will have to give that back when buying new pistons and bearings for your overworked, under lubricated engine.

I agree that after 3K, my vehicle also shows signs of poorer/ louder acceleration, and just overall the engine idle gets rougher.

I personally change my oil when it is almost dark brown/black. If your oil is black and slugdy, you better be sure youve already caused some engine damage that will show its ugly face later in the cars life.

Edited by Leo090

Pushing off a $30 oil change can maybe save you up to $60 a year, how many oil changes can you really delay. Ok you saved $60-80 , but after 5 yrs you will have to give that back when buying new pistons and bearings for your overworked, under lubricated engine.

If that were true, I would have had to replace the engine many times over in all my cars. The mere prospect of 5k miles damaging an engine in 5-years is ridiculous. You had to have made that up, otherwise, show me the proof. I'd be surprised to see any notable difference in wear after 20-years, or even 50-years. The headgaskets, transmission, or even the body will wear out long before the rings wear out.

Why's there a debate? Anything that people disagree about can become a debate. Where you believe 5k miles is too many, some believe a 5k mile oil change interval is just fine - including the company that built your car, and pretty much every company that builds cars!

$30! I don't even spend that much. I use the cheapest stuff Wal-Mart has. <$20.

.At 5k the oil is filled with contaminants and its ability to absorb more is greatly decreased which is why its important to replace it.

$30! I don't even spend that much. I use the cheapest stuff Wal-Mart has. <$20.

Ok my point exactly, people need to stop wasting their time and energy trying to save pennies and just replace the oil and feel secure knowing the car is running with clean oil.

You can do what you want, but I'll spend that extra penny and feel secure about my vehicles performance and maitenance.