Upgraded my alternator

Rocketman

Figured this would be a good place to post this, I'm not running an audio system at the moment but I will be in the future.

My stock 105A alternator died on me. I'm a bit broke at the moment, I was intending on replacing it w/ a junkyard unit and grabbing an extra spare, but I had a 135A alternator from a Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6 laying around, I figured I'd try it for fitment. It was close enough to work with some new brackets. All it cost me was $20 for a new 2" longer belt

It's a Ford "3G" alternator. Pretty easy to wire up, used this info here: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=63

Pics:

2011-11-07_01-34-09_954.jpg

2011-11-07_14-10-13_920.jpg

2011-11-07_14-10-21_158.jpg

My only issue is that it will probably interfere with the custom FSTB I am working on, it sits a lot higher. A custom mount bracket might correct this, but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest that much time in this.

What's interesting, is apparently there is a 200A version of this 3G alt...but I don't think it comes in the same case style used on the 2.5L V6.

On another note, I'll be beefing up my power & ground lines soon

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

good for a quick fix, i`d still go hunting in the j/k. i found a brand new duralast gold alt. on a wrecked cadillac and only gave $20 bucks for it(over $100 new from autozone) works great and i didnt have any issues with my STB. Never know what you might find:D