1995 GP SE Rear suspension

skitchin

I know my setup varies slightly from others, but was gonna say if ride quality is at all important to you, get some progressive rate coils(QA1 I believe makes some). I'd say 300lbs is pretty much the upper range of what you want to run in a daily driver, especially with stock spring rates in the front. Now, granted I have front and rear strut braces, but the 300lbs springs are biased enough to create over-steer in wet conditions if I'm not careful with shifting my momentum around. I'd say a better spring rate for comfort would be right around 200-225. AFAIK, spring rates measure how many lbs to compress the spring 1 inch, so 100lbs more in the engine bay may not translate exactly to 50lbs more in each spring's rate.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skitchin

• BXX

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know my setup varies slightly from others, but was gonna say if ride quality is at all important to you, get some progressive rate coils(QA1 I believe makes some). I'd say 300lbs is pretty much the upper range of what you want to run in a daily driver, especially with stock spring rates in the front. Now, granted I have front and rear strut braces, but the 300lbs springs are biased enough to create over-steer in wet conditions if I'm not careful with shifting my momentum around. I'd say a better spring rate for comfort would be right around 200-225. AFAIK, spring rates measure how many lbs to compress the spring 1 inch, so 100lbs more in the engine bay may not translate exactly to 50lbs more in each spring's rate.

200-225lbs in the rear is WAYY too soft. I was bottoming out with 250lbs springs. I wouldnt go any lower in the rear than that IMHO

I have 10" on the front and 14" on the rear of mine. the 10"s were just too short. Adjusted all the way up and I was still mad scraping, and not in a good way. 14"s gave me a perfect amount of travel both ways (10"s on the front were perfect)

Id have to look through my threads, but I think I did 350 and 400 and its solid but still comfy enough to drive (although I have comfy aq9s too :lol: )

EDIT: 400 front, 350 rears

Edited by Psych0matt

• 3 months later...

Bump. Finished mine today. Just so y'all know the isolators are available from summitracing, don't have to go anywhere special http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-6103r

I decided to make my own sleeves as I don't need adjustment, saved some cash. I cast them & machined for both the top & bottom. Went with 300lb springs. No more sag, mine was particularly bad. Might have to trim the perches a bit but it's so much better than it was before

coilover3.jpg

coilover4.jpg

coilover5.jpg

Before (after I emptied the trunk of tools & parts)

coilover1.jpg

After

coilover2.jpg

-Rocket