1995 GP SE Rear suspension

skitchin

Smoother ride? Better than the sagged out rusty setup I had before. It's a bit stiff, but I'll let you know how it feels after I redo my front suspension - lots of factory original stuff up there :(.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skitchin

• BXX

• AWeb80

• l67ss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, I'm working up a parts list for coil overs. Any suggestions what sort of spring rate I should be using? Not even sure what range I should be in there for comfort vs sport vs jarring your spine. Here's what I've got figured out so far - I might shop parts from other suppliers, this is just where I found them first.

KYB Shock and Strut Mount PN# W0133-1621590 x2 = $61.90 car-stuff.com

KYB GR2 Struts PN# KY236003 x2 = $100.24 car-stuff.com

Energy Suspension spring isolator PN# E1296103R x1 = $5.87 car-stuff.com

Coilover Adj Nut A1Racing PN# A1-12460 x2 = $25.74 a1racing.com

Coilover Sleeve A1Racing PN# A1-12452-H x2 = $37.60 a1racing.com

12" long 2.5" ID coilover springs PN #SUM-122-5300 (italic is springrate) x2 = $69.90 summitracing.com http://www.summitracing.com/search/Length-in/12-000-in/Inside-Diameter-in/2-500-in/Brand/Summit-Racing/?Ns=Rank|Asc

$301.25

Updated my parts list, noticed I had changed my mind on parts - total price should be a bit lower now.

Edited by skitchin

Oh nice! Don't coilovers handle turns better? I too think it would be awesome to race autocross one day.

Yeah, they definitely made my car handle better. If you hit a bump with a leaf spring, it transfers that energy into both struts. Coilovers this is not the case. It'll definitely change the dynamics of your car, so if you go ahead with a conversion, give yourself some time to become familiar with the changes. Also, do some research and make sure it's what you want. Everything has pros and cons.

Cool, will be interested to hear how it turns out, be sure to post back!

300lb springs seem very stiff, but this could be because A. my front suspension is factory original w/ 264K miles, or B. Mount is riding on top of the jounce bumper over bumps.

Keep in mind the leaf spring also acts like an anti-rollbar, without it you'll lose rigidity. I've got a rear strut tower brace to counter this, but as far as I know you can't use one in a convertible(while still being able to put the top down).

Are you suggesting I leave the leaf spring in the vehicle then? Overall the body is pretty beefy back there to compensate for the lack of a solid roof. And no, the braces do not work on a vert, I tried, and bought a new window lol.

I'm upgrading the stock stablizer to Addco too.

If you go coilovers, you'd be taking the leaf out. Best thing I can say is try to find someone on here that's gone coilovers in their cutlass vert and bounce some questions off them.

Sorry, I just don't wanna give you any bad info!

When I get it on the road, I'll report back :)

Do you have a pic of what the rear strut towers look like on your car from inside the trunk? I was in mine yesterday removing the struts and IIRC the vert has a thick metal plate welded to the top, not sure if this is added special or typical of a W.

I think it will be ok without the leaf......

I doubt you'll have issues without the leaf. You may feel increased body roll with coils vs leaf, but just drive like a normal person for a while and basically make sure it's not going to roll out from under you in a hard corner.

Shop called, got all my new front suspension parts on and the alignment is done. Looks like I'm back in spec all the way around! I'll post back about how it feels - been anxious to see if it makes the car feel less bouncy.

I'd take a stab at it and put at least 300lb springs in the back for a vert to deal with the added weight.

I agree - my initial impressions were that 300 was too stiff(because I had no front dampening) - granted, I'd still call it pretty sporty, but I think this is right where you want to be.

• 7 months later...

wut would i have to do?

i am a good fabricator and hav access to a good welder basically im upgrading almost every thing on my 97 monte so i was planning on using the leftover parts to ressurect a jy 1st gen w-body and i was leaning towards a 92-96 grand prix

Up front its just a matter of changing springs. The setup is the exact same up front. In the rear, your stupid to change over. If you dont want the monoleaf, but coilovers.

Do you know the English language? You should use it. Trying to figure out what your saying is ridiculous.

The strut tower mounting is completely different between the two. One is a 2bolt and the other is a 3bolt. You'll have to change not only the complete rear suspension, but the tower mounting as well. And just so that your suspension will match? Sorry but that's fucking stupid. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

300lb seems to be the popular weight for the rear but what about front? Would you want stiffer springs to compensate for the increased weight from drivetrain? Also after switching to coil overs would it be recommended to go to a larger, lighter rim with lower profile tire? I like the sawtooth rims, I just think I might like them better as furniture.

350-400lbs up front. You don't need to use different springs when swapping motors. L67 is only about 100lbs over a 3x00, which is 50lbs a spring. Won't notice it at all. Unless you want a stiffer spring. It depends on the person. If you do swap to cool overs, it doesn't matter what rim/tire combo you go with.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

im wanting to do it bcause 1 i cant stand leaf springs 2 this is a project i came up wit to do wen im bored 3 im not gonna have to change the ENTIRE rear suspension the trailling arm and lateral links line up and im gonna do a full gen 2 rear spindle and brake swap at the same time the only hiccup i c in my plan is the strut tower and that is easily corrected and in the end ill end up with a decently modified car that i can fid parts for anywer(example upper stut mount) and the way i c it even if i went coilover(sic) the monte style strut would b better due to more solid mounting this would be ment to be a cheap toy quick

Its been done before, but IMHO not worth the effort to cut, and weld in a different section of strut tower when you can convert to coil over using what is already available.