Common rust spots?

BrianK82

Every type of vehicle has common rust spots, what are the w-bodys? I know the trailing arm mounts like to rust, but what else? I have seen rear quarter rust on a lot of verts just behind the rear wheels, but what other areas should i pay a lot of attention too? What do others do to help cut down/eliminate rust?

Every type of vehicle has common rust spots, what are the w-bodys? I know the trailing arm mounts like to rust, but what else? I have seen rear quarter rust on a lot of verts just behind the rear wheels, but what other areas should i pay a lot of attention too? What do others do to help cut down/eliminate rust?

If we are talking first gens...

- trailing arm mounts

- rear quarters around the wheel well

- under the fuel door

- rockers

- inside of quarter panels

- fenders

- anywhere hidden by cladding

Second gens also rust out on the rear strut towers and trunk lids under the spoiler on GPs.

Basically everything that Mike said. I've seen quite a few first gens rust out by the rear strut towers too. I've only ever seen one have rust spots on the front towers.

If you don't have any rust best bet is to undercoat it to prevent it from rusting. If the rusting process has already started clean it up the best you can and seal it up.

On the body it's a good idea to wax it before winter. Also wash it in the winter time to remove the salt that builds up. Or don't drive it in the winter that's the best way to prevent rust.

Another spot for the Verts is right under the mirror where the windshild molding and mirror meet. Another spot for my vert is when you open the door and there is that plastic cover to hide the door handle objects, the metal on the door started to rust.

• 2 weeks later...

hi is there any way to prevent rust on the latest GP... like under the fuel door and the spoiler?

edit- the 97 CS we had, rust from the front wheel wells on the fender.... and coming from behind the plastic cladding... below the fuel door also

front feders rust. looks like the rear where they meat the bumper holds water. also the vary front of the hood. ever 1st gen i have seen has been rusted at the vary front of the hood (besides ones that where vary well taken care)

cutlass8.jpg

also check out the rockers vary closely

this is what my 2000 sedan looked like when i first bought it in febuary

100_2416.jpg

this is what happened in april after a bad wind storm

100_2540.jpg

the rocker gave out. the car is now folding in on it's self

hey, I've got rust starting on a front fender right where it meets the bumper. I had best take care of it before it rots through like that......the floor of my trunk has a little bit as well. The joys of used car ownership!