Sub Box Help

pwmin

They would require a custom baffle. Someone might make an aftermarket one that you can pick up. Those are great comps btw.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

cool, i'll look for one. I'll have to pull the door panel off sometime, too and see what I have to work with.

That's a solid amp for front comp use. I ran two 7203s for a while (just took them out today) and they were great.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

alright, hopefully I'll have the money next month, but I may have to wait until feb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• xtremerevolution

• white4d96

• EviLette

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ordered this (should be here wednesday): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038FNC8G/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

going to try it with both subs and see which one I like best and then when I get the money to buy a class d mono over 600@4, I'll switch to that and use the dayton for sure and the kenwood on some front components which I will also get later.

ordered this (should be here wednesday): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038FNC8G/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

going to try it with both subs and see which one I like best and then when I get the money to buy a class d mono over 600@4, I'll switch to that and use the dayton for sure and the kenwood on some front components which I will also get later.

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to finally hearing your impressions of those subs.

Well, I got the amp installed and ran both subs and decided to go with the Dayton. I think it sounds better and it takes up a lot less room. At first it didn't sound very good, but I messed with the settings and placement more and now it sounds good. The only thing I don't like is some songs w/ a lot of bass I have to turn it down really low at stoplights to the point where I can barely hear it so it doesn't bump too much. Thanks again for all the help. It's really making me want to get some front components now because it opened my ears to good SQ.

Well, I got the amp installed and ran both subs and decided to go with the Dayton. I think it sounds better and it takes up a lot less room. At first it didn't sound very good, but I messed with the settings and placement more and now it sounds good. The only thing I don't like is some songs w/ a lot of bass I have to turn it down really low at stoplights to the point where I can barely hear it so it doesn't bump too much. Thanks again for all the help. It's really making me want to get some front components now because it opened my ears to good SQ.

Awesome. I'm glad I could help, and I'm glad you're enjoying that sub now. Its been a while since you've built the box. Congrats on finally getting this system together. :thumbsup:

yes, it's been a long time. I don't how some songs you can barely hear/feel any bass and some it overwhelms the front speakers, but I can always turn the amp gain down on the h/u, but I'm going to need to do the front channel sometime soon.

• 10 months later...

I've really been thinking about getting another sub lately and maybe a class D amp and some front components. Dayton now has the HO sub in DVC, so I think I'm going to go with that paired with a Kenwood KAC-9105D.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22574_Kenwood-KAC-9105D.html

I'll get the sub for now and then hopefully soon I can get the amp and a set of front comps

Also, I'd like to get a remote level control because it takes too long to change it on the fly with the head unit. Is this thing total crap? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10092_EFX-RLC-by-Scosche.html

Edited by pwmin

snip

Also, I'd like to get a remote level control because it takes too long to change it on the fly with the head unit. Is this thing total crap? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10092_EFX-RLC-by-Scosche.html

I love my remote power control and on/off switches I have under dash on my SE. Saved me so many tickets.. except that ONE that I got a couple months ago. 5 years with the same stereo, one ticket, not a bad rating >:)

Also, when you go from listening to metal to rap to who knows what, it's SO nice to have that ability to change bass output on the fly. Especially when people look at you cross-eyed pulling the dual 12" sub box out of your trunk. Of course, you're not a small female so you probably wouldn't get THOSE looks. haha.

I shouldn't say this so I don't jinx myself, but I've never gotten a noise ticket.

Any suggestions on front components? They will be ran by a Kenwood KAC-7205 amp, so I have plenty of power (170 x 2 @ 4 ohms, 250 x 2 @ 2). Here is what I was looking at before: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33287_Massive-Audio-SX-5-II.html. Thought about trying 6 1/2, too if I'm brave enough: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22330_Image-Dynamics-CTX-6.5cs.html

I love my Pioneer D-Series. They are a few years old, but I have them in the front and rear and the sound is serious. Lots of crunch, awesome highs, good lows without the subs, and I listen to a lot of heavy metal and stupid loud.

Looks like they are out of stock. The ones i am rocking are made with kevlar for the main speaker assembly. haven't had a single issue with them.

On the noise ticket, I actually found it funny as hell.

I called my boyfriend and said, "Guess what?! I got a ticket!" and laughed about it.

He didn't think it was funny. In fact, he thought it was so NOT funny, he harped on it for four months after, telling me I should have KNOWN it was that loud. Well........ I DIDN'T. I truly was ignorant. I was so ignorant that one day, while on smoke break at class, since I was parked in the middle of a HUGE parking lot... I tested the theory. Turned the same song on, same settings, kicked the volume up as loud as I was listening to it that day and walked to the side of the car.

100 feet away with windows rolled down I could barely hear anything. Went to the back of the car (rear facing subs) same thing. I started cussing, thinking the PD were a bunch of douche bags, then walked to the front of the car and said "Oh...." now I know.

I'd had the same stereo with the same settings for over FIVE YEARS and hadn't had any issues, not even a WARNING. So I honestly thought it just wasn't that loud outside of the car. *shrugs*

I'm still annoyed that he kept bringing it back up. Just to annoy him, I am thinking about getting a set of subs and an amp for the GTP. :D You know, since it's MY car. :dance:

Edited by EviLette

well, I fvcked myself. Ran out of the money I was going to use to buy the amp buying xmas presents, so I was going to use the amp I have for now, but I didn't realize it couldn't run 2 ohms in bridged mode :mad: so now I can't put my new sub in until I get the damn amp.

Is the sub not capable of running anything other than 2ohms? I'd think you'd be just fine running 4ohms, it's just not going to get as much wattage(or be as loud). Audiophiles correct me if I'm wrong...

I could run it at 8 ohms, but I may as well just keep using the MTX crapper for now. I just ordered the amp (was able to transfer money from my savings account) on Amazon and it's guaranteed to be here Friday, so at least I don't have to wait long.

woot, got the Dayton sub and new Kenwood amp in today...so good to have strong bass again. I put the Massive Audio comps on my Xmas list, so we'll see if I get them or not. Then I'll have to build a new amp rack for the other KW. I keep forgetting that I need to order some sound deadener for the rear deck. Need to clean up the wiring a little, too...I hate when shit shows.

My entire Cruze is fitted with SDS materials. Don knows me by name from all of the business I've sent his way. It truly is the best set of products on the market. Nothing out there comes close to the performance for the price you pay. CLD tiles are all you'll need for the trunk unless you plan on removing your rear seats.

My entire Cruze is fitted with SDS materials. Don knows me by name from all of the business I've sent his way. It truly is the best set of products on the market. Nothing out there comes close to the performance for the price you pay. CLD tiles are all you'll need for the trunk unless you plan on removing your rear seats.
GTK. I'm talking about the deck where the 6x9's are. I'm going to remove them (they're unplugged right now) and want something to cover the holes and the rest of it with so the bass doesn't rattle the cover. I always open the pass-through, but that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fucking sub blew already yesterday. There are metal slivers in the box and it rattles if you shake it. I'm wondering what that would be. I would think that goes beyond a burnt voice coil. I had the bass boost on the amp turned totally off and the gain wasn't all the way up...didn't think I had it turned up too high. I would turn the gain down with the remote if it was hitting too hard. Pretty sure they won't warranty it and after the bad luck I've had, I don't think I'm going to get another Dayton, so not sure what to try this time. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend over $100 this time because every time I get an expensive sub, it blows, but I've had cheap ones for a decade that never blow even when they're being overpowered. That and I'm tired of spending money on this. I need something that can go in a small sealed box. The amp is a Kenwood KAC-9105D (mono, 900W @ 2 ohms, 500W @ 4 ohms).

• 6 months later...

update:

Ended up finally having the sub warrantied and it's been doing fine ever since. I also got some peel'n'seal and put some on the rear deck covering the old speaker holes (took them out) and so on. Built a better amp rack and ran some more wiring for the other amp. Just got done ordering the Massive Audio 5 1/4" components and Massive Audio 4 ga amp kit. I figured by the time I ordered all the pieces, I'd be spending at least as much and with the order being over $99, shipping was free, so I'll have some more power wire and other stuff in reserve (just needed a little power, ground and some terminals). Ordered form onlinecarstereo since sonicelectronix was out of the speakers I wanted. There were some cheaper amp kits and I wasn't too excited about the MAXI fuse holder, but it's pure copper wire not CCA so I'm happy with it.