Sub Box Help

pwmin

Your best bet will be to head over to diyma.com and buy something used from the classifieds section. Pay with paypal so you have buyer protection. Bought a few amps there that were amazing deals. A month back, I bought two Coustic Power Logic amps, an Amp-160 and an Amp-360. The Amp-160 is a 30W x 2 RMS amp, and the AMP-460 is a 98W x 2 RMS (250W Bridged mono) amp. Bought them both for $80 shipped, and anyone who knows anything about amps will tell you that they're overrated, like all oldschool amps are. Made in 1992, still working perfectly, and very solid amps. You should be looking for something like that if you want to get some good quality and reliable power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coustic-Power-Logic-AMP-460-250-WATTS-Bridged-Mono-98-WATTS-Channel-/290635654465?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item43ab3c2541#ht_4663wt_1396

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• xtremerevolution

• white4d96

• EviLette

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah, so I got the box built (minus the carpet) and hooked it up and I'm getting feedback wherever the volume is. Obviously, if I turn it up i can't hear it, just bass, but that's not cool. So I messed w/ the RCA's and I can wiggle them and the sound goes away and comes back depending on the position. Of course it's the amp and not the sub. I hooked another set of RCA's up to the ones that were already ran and wiggle the connection and it doesn't change anything, but w/ the new RCA's if I wiggle them at the amp, it comes on and off. Guess I'll just have to deal with it. I'm going to put the 12" back in and just run it until I can afford an amp. Not sure why I get feedback with this amp/box and not with the other one, but the other one is not air tight

What head unit do you have? Pioneer head units are known for having ground noise through the RCA's. If you ground them to the case it may go away.

What head unit do you have? Pioneer head units are known for having ground noise through the RCA's. If you ground them to the case it may go away.

If you're getting ground noise, grounding the RCAs will help, but the head unit isn't the source of the problem. You have a grounding issue somewhere. Tracing those can be a huge pain though. They sell ground loop isolator kits if you don't want to ground your RCAs.

If you're getting ground noise, grounding the RCAs will help, but the head unit isn't the source of the problem. You have a grounding issue somewhere. Tracing those can be a huge pain though. They sell ground loop isolator kits if you don't want to ground your RCAs.

You ever worked with a Pioneer HU?

On 9/10 of them you get ground noise through the RCA's because of some internal component that fails stupid easy. You end up with horrible alt whine even with PERFECT grounds. The easiest way to fix it is to ground the RCA's to the chassis of the HU.

You ever worked with a Pioneer HU?

On 9/10 of them you get ground noise through the RCA's because of some internal component that fails stupid easy. You end up with horrible alt whine even with PERFECT grounds. The easiest way to fix it is to ground the RCA's to the chassis of the HU.

Both my car and my wife's car have Pioneer head units. Mine is my second one, as the first one had a Pico fuse blow so I just scrapped it instead of trying to fix it. It was 3 years old at the time. When you blow that Pico fuse, you have a whole lot more than just static or intereference coming through the RCAs. Both of the ones I'm using now have zero alternator whine.

That's the component that was mentioned. Anywho, I'll get my off-topic out of here.

How many watts does he need?

For this box and sub, 200, but you can never have too many clean watts.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

YUM!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36208_Crossfire-C3-501.html

This is kinda cool:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_35603_Massive-Audio-B1000-2.html

All assuming he needs 200@4, going a little overrated for safety's sake.

That Massive amp is cool, but severely overpriced for the amount of power it delivers.

Not digging the Crossfire amp due to it not being CEA certified. It does look like a quality amp though.

I've heard lots of good things about Crossfire. I know they have a higher line of amps that are absolutely insane. There's an Excursion somewhere that has 12 of their higher-end 15's on some insane power doing something close to 160's on the dash. As long as their entry-level stuff is up to the same par, I think it would be great for a daily setup.

I have a JCV h/u. It's not ground noise. I've always had off and on problems w/ this amp making noise when shutting off and it's more that that, but constant. This is the only sub/box setup I've used that has had this specific problem. It doesn't do it with the 12" MTX nor did it do it with the Dayton.

I have a JCV h/u. It's not ground noise. I've always had off and on problems w/ this amp making noise when shutting off and it's more that that, but constant. This is the only sub/box setup I've used that has had this specific problem. It doesn't do it with the 12" MTX nor did it do it with the Dayton.

Sounds like there may be a problem with the sub itself.

wonderful...

If it is the sub, I may as well save up for an amp for the Dayton. Too bad I spent the time and money to make this box for the MTX.

Yeah, that really sucks. A sub shouldn't have a humming or buzzing noise though. It sounds like there may be something else wrong. I'd double check the connections inside the box. The sub may just be more sensitive to noise than the other two. I'm really not sure at this point.

Just thought of something, the box may work with your dayton sub if it fits in there. You could always give that a try. The ported nature of it allows it to be more efficient and would probably sound not half bad with the weaker amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I decided to try the new box again last night since I haven't had the amp cut out in a while and all is fine. Not sure what's going on, but I guess that's good. It did cut out completely today w/ the 10, but I messed w/ the RCA's and it came back on, no noise or anything (also messed w/ the wires @ the sub box, but they're bolted down on the inside and hooked up to binding posts, so they shouldn't have come loose). I think I'll put the 12 back in, though because it hits a little harder and so I can finish up the box (just need to rout the holes a bit so I can fit carpet. I did try and seal the 12 box up by cutting out the hole bigger so I could fit a terminal plate with binding posts. It was still leaking air from the one (or two) seam(s) so I just caulked to outside...haven't tested for leaks yet, but it definitely sounds better now. I sealed the sub better, too. It's always had polyfil in it since the box was so small (truck box so I could put it in my truck). I'm not worried that it doesn't sound quite as good because the rest of the system sucks and doesn't sound very good, anyway. I'm hoping to get a new amp for the Dayton pretty soon as well as an amp and new front comps, but since the amp is working okay right now, I'm going to hold off and get some other stuff done that is needed much more.

Edited by pwmin

Sounds good, thanks for the updates.

It was acting up again tonight, lol, so maybe I'll get an amp for either MTX sub next month that I can use on the future front components (bridgeable 2-channel)

Edited by pwmin

If you have to mess with RCA wires to make it work and it acts up, its probably the amp. If you do get an amp, get a quality amp. If you buy cheap, you get cheap. I'd recommend getting something used. Bridging something like this for example would give you excellent performance at a very low price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coustic-Power-Logic-460-Amp-12v-car-stereo-/150718866090?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item23178b62aa#ht_500wt_1156

Yeah its old, but its built like a tank. Considering it was built in 1991 and it still works, its a testament to their reliability.

Like I said, I'd be getting fronts later on, but how would this combo work:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33290_Massive-Audio-SK-5-II.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22733_Kenwood-KAC-7205.html

i think I could use any of the ones you mentioned in the thread below this one, too

and of course it would have to work w/ my current sub

Edited by pwmin

Like I said, I'd be getting fronts later on, but how would this combo work:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33290_Massive-Audio-SK-5-II.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22733_Kenwood-KAC-7205.html

i think I could use any of the ones you mentioned in the thread below this one, too

and of course it would have to work w/ my current sub

That's a solid amp for front comp use. I ran two 7203s for a while (just took them out today) and they were great.