Question on wiring a 3.5mm jack into a Monsoon or any factory radio

99screaminregal

Been wanting to run a 3.5mm jack on my Monsoon radio to play my mp3 player. I've been reading up on how to do it and so far this is what I have gathered.

So basically, all you really need to do is splice into the channel and ground wires on the tape deck to send the audio and keep a cassette in the deck to allow for switching and powering the tape deck, right? If so, which wire is which?? I haven't pulled the radio out yet so I haven't seen what to do.

I have a Monsoon (as stated), so it has a source switch button and I won't need to put a toggle switch on to change from radio to the tape/aux correct??

Google is your friend in this case. I have since added a aux input into a mid-to late 90's/ early 00's factory CD player, and a 2003+ RDS radio/ cd player (my brothers and my trucks, respectively.) So far I only know how to do these two types, and a Ford radio that I'm currently working on for my dads F250 Superduty.

Here's some pics of my brothers radio and mine that I did. The only thing I would do different is to double check the placement, as on both, they are a little tight to the dash panel trim when everything is put back together. Everything works fine though. On the older radio in my brother's truck, the input is installed so that it interrupts the CD player audio when plugged in, but replaces the cd audio as soon as it is unplugged. A cd has to be playing for the mp3 player audio to play. On my radio, pretty much the same thing, except I can interrupt the XM signal, and simply have to press the band button until I change it to XM to get the signal. And no, you don't have to be subscribed to XM for it to work.

post-3334-143689081698_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689081715_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689081732_thumb.jpg

post-3334-14368908175_thumb.jpg

Yes, a write up would be great!

Can't wait to try it out! What ga. wire did you use? And what plug did you use?

Edited by 99screaminregal

I could do a write-up, though I got most of my info from the following links:

Older radios:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/688297-how-you-can-add-aux-input-mp3-player-without-adapter.html

Newer, RDS radio:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=93646.0

And this is the jack I used. Can be purchased at radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451&cp

And for the cable, I (under advice from the write-ups,) used cat5 cable.

I might add my own little tips though. Firstly, I realized the first pic I posted is a copy right from LS1tech that I used for reference, but the radio I worked on is near identical. Secondly, I think I'm one of the only, if not the only person, to mount the jack in the faceplate. I did this for a factory look. Also, I hated the idea of drilling a hole for it somewhere randomly in the dash panel, or have a cable dangle out of the dash. I must warn you though, there is VERY limited space, if any (depending on your radio model) to mount it in the faceplate. You have to choose very carefully so as to have clearance around everything. With both, I had to cut small pieces out of the metal case of the radio, and trim some plastic out of the plastic on the inside of the faceplate. If you want to see how I did these two, I can post pics, otherwise I may do a full write-up. Feel free to ask me any questions, as both radios I have done work perfectly.

• 1 year later...

It depends on what type of radio. Are you referring to a 2-din/ RDS radio from ~early 2000's+?

And to the rest of W-body, I'm sorry that it's over a year later and no write-up. Someday I will when I can remember to take more pics of the install, that is, unless somebody beats me to it.

Honestly, if you were performing this on a W vintage radio I'd really push this. But for the fact that you have only done this on a non-W radio I'm more of the train of thought of leaving some of it up to "The Google".

Well, double-din RDS radios came in Regals and Century's (I think), and 2000+ Impy/ Monte (possibly others, I don't know for sure) so as far I know, it can be made to work with those, almost certainly if it has XM. Wouldn't that be sufficient? I was just offering relevant info, since most of us own/ drive something other than a W.

Edited by carkhz316

I'm not saying don't do a write up. I guess I just mean there is zero hurry as this question doesn't come up too often here but any information is very helpful.