Weird 95 Cutlass Conv?

Mark 97 Cutlass Coupe

I was at a pull a part today in Cleveland, and saw what I thought was a strange convertible. I don't know any specific info on how they were equipped, but here is what I saw; 3100 engine, no "lip" tail lights or spoiler, single exhaust. It was definately a 95 because it had the newer dash. I thought all the convertibles had the 3400 motor, duals, and the lip tail lights. Just curious. By the way, if anyone needs parts for one, that particular one is really trashed, so if you need something, I wouldn't drive too far out of your way to see it.

Have you seen many base models? Aren't the 3400's more complicated and problematic? I love my 3100 for the fact that it is no fuss and dependable. I had thought of getting a convertible some day, but the 3400 turned me off. Is that an unfair evaluation of the motor?

3.4's and 3400's are 2 completely different engines. You're thinking of the DOHC 3.4. and yes, it's an unfair evaluation.

The 3400 is just a bigger version of the 3100.

The 3400 and 3.4DOHC are different motors. 3400 was not avaiable on the Cutlass supreme. The 3100 was. From 91-96 you could get a 3.4DOHC in a Cutlass supreme with a convertible top. The 3400 has 180hp while the 3.4DOHC has 210hp. 96 DOHC has 215hp.

I've seen an even number of DOHC and 3100 convertibles in the junkyard.

I personally love my 3.4. I've driven 3100 cars and I'll take the 3.4DOHC anyday. Biggest thing to worry about is the timing belt breaking while driving it. It's really easy to replace as long as you replace it before it breaks. The other thing is the Alt. it takes a while to replace it. I've replaced mine in about 3 hours. I thought it was going to be worse. But after I started to tear into a bit, everything went pretty good.

3.1 MPFI was available in the convertibles 91-93

3100 SFI was available in the convertibles 94-95

3.4 DOHC was available in the convertibles 93-95