urbex

So I'm going to repaint part of my rocker panels this weekend. I also have some POR-15 left over, I think I'm going to put some on the trailing arm mounts. It was a kit that has all the prep cleaners that you're supposed to use before you use the actual POR-15. I have a question though. Will it still work if I don't use the preps? Only reason I ask is I'll probably prep the TA mounts, but there's random rust spots I'd like to probably hit up (like lower rad support, engine cradle... I wouldn't prep those areas since they aren't too much of a concern, but I didn't know if the stuff will even stick or not if I don't?

Another thing I wondered...I've heard conflicting opinions on sanding. I thought it says to sand down to the bare metal (and remove all the rust) before applying the stuff, but someone told me the stuff works better if you put it directly on rust. Opinions? Please and thank you!

I have used POR 15 on lifted truck frames many times with great results,,, I have never used any of the surface prep stuff, I just cleaned the frames as good as I could of rust and such then a good wash to get any grease then good blow dry with a air hose then start painting it on,,,alittle goes along way,,,I am going to do the mounts on my 95 GP for sure!!! Some of the truck frames I did in the late 80s just like your blue chevy still look great!!!

Yeah, I know a little goes a long way. Not sure how many ounces the can was, but I figured when I bought it it would JUST do the rockers. Yeah right. I still have over half the can left, so that's why I'm going back now and doing other random areas that can use it. I'll probably put some on the HHR in various places that are prone to rust so that they'll stay looking nice. I'm thinking I'll skip the prep stuff. I mean I'm sure just the POR15 without prep is better than nothing at all, right?

Personally I think if you get most of the flaking rust off with a wire brush it should be fine. I didn't really prep some of the random areas on the subframe and stuff, but I did the rockers and ta mounts.

I got a wire wheel and hit all the rust I could then used the prep and put POR 15 everywhere I could. Like the whole underside of the car. I removed the mufflers and the heat sheild above those and put it everywhere. If it's worth doing it's worth over doing.

Ive used the prep stuff. The cleaners is just like any other cleaner but the metal ready oxidizes the metal making smooth metal kind of rough. I definitely think metal ready helps it stick better.