88-96 3800 turbo?

no1kicker

Does anyone here have a 3800 in their 88-96 with a turbo kit? I am wondering if any kits will fit with little or no modification, especially the Cartuning kit.

You might want to look closer at the 3.8 Buick dropped in their `87 Regal GNX(what a beauty this one was). I know they were sent to Mclaren for some mods but cant recall them at the moment. These cars were RWD but im sure their are similarities between the RWD 3.8`s and the FWD 3.8`s. But im sure it could be done.

There were superchargers GEN I on those engines. Not sure how effective those are, but it would cost less than putting a turbo on it.

Series I got the Eaton M62 supercharger, which is designed for 2.5L to 4.0L engines. They're pretty decent. Ever ridden in a Buick Riv with one? That's a fast car for how big it is.

I'm not sure if the OP is dead set on a turbo or just wants some boost, but you're right an M62 would be much cheaper. You can pick up a junkyard unit for $50 and install a new S/C clutch. Then of course the supporting mods but again it would be much cheaper.

OP, I don't know anything about the kit you're speaking of but now I can't stop imagining a turbocharged Montana van :lol:

I just re-read my post above and realized that it was pretty vague, sorry about that. What I am wondering is if anyone has swapped a 3800 series 2 (or 3) into a 88-96 and is running a custom turbo, or turbo kit from a vendor like ZZP or Cartuning. I know the L67 has been swapped a lot and seems to fit well, but I have never done it and I don't know much about the details.

For the 97+ turbo kits, I would think that the manifolds, crossover, and turbo would mount with plenty of room. I would think that the downpipe and wastegate would be the tough part.

I know Filip (Captain Ficho) has a turbocharged gen-II 3800 powered Regal, but I cannot recall if his was a kit, or just put together with different aftermarket parts.

• 3 months later...
I know Filip (Captain Ficho) has a turbocharged gen-II 3800 powered Regal, but I cannot recall if his was a kit, or just put together with different aftermarket parts.

Bringing this back up. Do you have a link by chance? I searched and couldn't find anything.

Here is the link to Fils GS.

There's not a whole lot of information about the swap itself, but I'm sure Fil could give you more information about it.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/46373-Filip-s-GS-(zomg-he-has-another-W-body-)

:think:

Kicker is asking for turbo 3800 swaps into '88 - '96 (Gen I) w-bodies. Ficho's car was a Gen II Regal. Turbos in those are fairly common, and the set-ups are designed purposely for them. He wants to know if those same turbo set-ups designed for Gen II w-bodies will work with a Gen I 3800 swapped car.

Kicker is asking for turbo 3800 swaps into '88 - '96 (Gen I) w-bodies. Ficho's car was a Gen II Regal. Turbos in those are fairly common, and the set-ups are designed purposely for them. He wants to know if those same turbo set-ups designed for Gen II w-bodies will work with a Gen I 3800 swapped car.

:lol: I'm glad someone else here is understanding what is being asked in this thread, otherwise I would've said something like that.

To the OP, I don't believe anybody has that I've seen at least.

Apparently, reading>me :shrug:

I intend to do the same thing to my TGP, I already have the 3800 in there, however I was wondering about making it fit as well. I would think it should be possible, but it will probably take some tweaking.

I do remember a member on here a few months back was selling a 1996 Regal 3800 Series 2 which had a centrifugal supercharger... Not sure about anything else though. Can't find the thread.

• 3 months later...

my old lumina (gen 1.5) was cartuning turboed, you would have to ask kevin at cartuning for a modded 97 style upper downpipe and you would have t o tweak the lower portion of the downpipe

Thanks for the info. I remember the 97 upper DP being different but I don't know exactly what makes it different.