New guy

GEN1Z34

Is your Z a factory 5 speed car or are you converting it?

Converting to 5spd.. The old 4t60e was just too worn out to reuse..

Had a local shop harden a brand new Muncie 282 for the project, and doing a custom adaptor for the bell I'll be using..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GEN1Z34

• Breakdown

• Addicted to eaton

• AL

Do you have things like the shift cables and the pedal and center console?

I have everything for the project brand new and in boxes..lol

It's a that box of time I seemed to have misplaced..:lol:

But winter is coming and things are slowing down so I can focus on the project more..

You have impressed me more in your first post then some do in entire build threads... especially the ones that after 25 pages, all that's changed is wheels and the addition of urine to the fog lights

Thanks! It started out as an over haul that turned into a full blown restore project..lol

Lots of time in the dog house from the wifey..:lol:

About this 282 w/ hardened internals. Cryo treated, correct? What kind of effect does that have on tolerances/clearances?

A cryo-treated 282 for my 2nd gen is one of those "back burner" ideas I've had floating around...

You have impressed me more in your first post then some do in entire build threads... especially the ones that after 25 pages, all that's changed is wheels and the addition of urine to the fog lights

:think: That's an extremely low blow Al...one I wouldn't expect someone like you to make.

BGA,

I'm also completely disillusioned in your ignorance!!

By page #25 we were no where close to getting new wheels!!

Get your facts straight!

Not everyone has the money and time for this shit and you damn well know that. We make progress as our paychecks allow it and most of the posts in our threads consist of us bouncing around ideas and learning how things are done.

Another particular member with a turbo 2nd gen comes in here often showing off the latest dyno slip or modification but rarely provides any real help and is entirely unreliable to purchase anything from. Sure his car is "impressive" but I'd be more impressed if more people like Robert Saar came in and instantly offered a wealth of knowledge that would benefit the majority of us.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

About this 282 w/ hardened internals. Cryo treated, correct? What kind of effect does that have on tolerances/clearances?

A cryo-treated 282 for my 2nd gen is one of those "back burner" ideas I've had floating around...

Well as far as I remember/know there was'nt huge changes.

I'm no trany expert that's for sure, but I believe some of the tollerances got tighter..

There's an older guy that has a small business doing various types of machine work and he sends parts out for cryo work..

I asked him about it when I sent my 282 to him but it's mostly "Greek" to me..

What I do know is the Fiero guys that are serious about v8 power will have parts cryo'd for added strength so I figured why not everything inside I can..lol

Not everyone has the money and time for this shit and you damn well know that. We make progress as our paychecks allow it and most of the posts in our threads consist of us bouncing around ideas and learning how things are done.

Another particular member with a turbo 2nd gen comes in here often showing off the latest dyno slip or modification but rarely provides any real help and is entirely unreliable to purchase anything from. Sure his car is "impressive" but I'd be more impressed if more people like Robert Saar came in and instantly offered a wealth of knowledge that would benefit the majority of us.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

This project has been and is fun for me, and I do have the money I need for it..

However, I am not here just to brag, I truely enjoy cars and am very partial to the LQ1, and 60* v6's..

I hope to be around for a while, learn some things, and hopefully contribute whereI can..

I build my engines and many other parts in house and have no problem with step by step write ups..

I spend more time taking pics sometimes than it takes to actually do some projects..lol

Also thank you guys for the "thank you's" it's much apprecitiated..

In my oppy Hot Roding is for the car guys reguardless of monitary means...

For me I like to say where I can that, "I built it" not, "Mr. So and So Speed shop"..

Passing on knowledge not business cards is what keeps our hobby alive..

Anyways, I could go on and on lol, thanks to everyone for the interest and the kind words..

There will be more... Count on it..:biggrin:

Beautiful LQ1s man! I think my love for this engine is, in part, because everyone says it's a challenge. For some reason I'm drawn to rescuing things that everyone else thinks are impossible. Looking forward to seeing more of what can be done to these engines. These treads keep me motivated by reminding me that I'm not crazy just because I'll take on something I know nothing about and enjoy the ride while I figure it out.

For me I like to say where I can that, "I built it" not, "Mr. So and So Speed shop"..

Story of my life!! Can't stand to pay someone to do something I can learn to do myself.

Beautiful LQ1s man! I think my love for this engine is, in part, because everyone says it's a challenge. For some reason I'm drawn to rescuing things that everyone else thinks are impossible. Looking forward to seeing more of what can be done to these engines. These treads keep me motivated by reminding me that I'm not crazy just because I'll take on something I know nothing about and enjoy the ride while I figure it out.

Story of my life!! Can't stand to pay someone to do something I can learn to do myself.

Thank you!

In my oppinion the LQ1 has so much potential just sucks there's such a limited after market...

For me that's sorta ok though, I don't mind spending money on one off's..

Holy crap, how do you clean the engine so well? And then paint it so nicely! I wish I could be there to see it all, my 3.4L is pretty filthy.

Haha, thanks!

The red engine is a completely new build..

Only used parts are the LM, and one of the carrier covers..

Other than that everything is virgin and/or custom made for the TT app..

I also have a custon p&p throttle body I cut and re machined from an original one piece LQ1 upper intake..

The other one I have is a rescued LQ1 from another 92 z34 auto that was sitting in a junkyard..

The plan there is to make a set of custom cams instead of regrinds and stay N/A..

Most of that engine will be reused where possible since it is was nearly perfect inside when I got it opened up..