Second-gen parts into first-gen Grand Prix: what fits?

fastbird232

Got a line on a pretty beat up (mechanically) 2001 Grand Prix SE sedan. The girl says it's got 210,000 miles on it and she never takes care of it, so it would be pretty cheap. My '94 GP sedan, however, is in damn good shape (previous owner had it fully serviced every three months). Thing is, it's a base-special. Bench seat. Column shift. GREEN interior. FE1. That sort of thing.

How much of the 2001 will work on the 1994? Can I use the second-gen's OBD2 harness to upgrade my OBD1.5 mess? Can I finally have front bucket seats? How about the rear sway bar? Brakes?

Will ANYTHING fit?

Hell yes I want that console. Anything more than a 25 mph corner, and the Auto Zone floor-organizer goes flying. We have a write up for the shift conversion, or is it console-only?

I don't know if there is a write up for it. But I know people have used the second gen consoles in first gen cars. Like 94-96 grand prixs and 95+ Cutlass.

I think you could probably get it to work with the parts from the second gen GP. Might need the steering column from that car. You could also use the second gen steering wheel if you wanted.

My aim here is to replace as much of the '94 as possible with the '01. I abhor the interior of my car. The color sucks, but it's mostly the ergonomics. Sucks about the front buckets not working. If I could have picked one thing to swap, they would have been it.

Any benefit in reaping parts from the '01 3100?

IIRC, second-gen rims have backspacing issues on first-gens, don't they?

My aim here is to replace as much of the '94 as possible with the '01. I abhor the interior of my car. The color sucks, but it's mostly the ergonomics. Sucks about the front buckets not working. If I could have picked one thing to swap, they would have been it.

Any benefit in reaping parts from the '01 3100?

IIRC, second-gen rims have backspacing issues on first-gens, don't they?

The term is wheel offset, and yes, they will not work without spacers.

Want to upgrade your car? Go to a junkyard and find another 1st gen and get some nice seats and interior parts from one of those. I'm sure many others will agree that most 1st gen interiors are better built than 2nd gen interiors (except for the Regals).

Edited by xtremerevolution

Yeah you can use the OBDII for your 94. Seats won't swap. Brakes won't swap. I'm not sure about the rear sway bar.

If it has a floor shiter. You can put the center console in your GP.

Rear sway bar won't swap.

The term is wheel offset, and yes, they will not work without spacers.

Want to upgrade your car? Go to a junkyard and find another 1st gen and get some nice seats and interior parts from one of those. I'm sure many others will agree that most 1st gen interiors are better built than 2nd gen interiors (except for the Regals).

Yeah... None around here. Already looked. Very slim pickings around here, because locals basically run these cars into the ground. Then the college kids snap up whatever's left. That, and we have one junkyard in the area.

If you wanted to, you could swap seat tracks from the 1st gen seats onto the 2nd gen seats. If the newer seats are leather you'll be sitting fairly nicely. Cloth seats are uncomfortable though, hard as rocks. I've found my GTP's leather seats are very comfortable.

Can't you grind down the calipers/brackets a little to fit the 2nd gen wheels on? Or am I thinking something else?

forget it. only things that could directly swap that you could use will be the radio and the steering wheel. You CAN upgrade to the center console, if you get the rest of the gen 1 parts. You could also use the spindle rods/lateral link in your rear suspension if you are willing to go to coil overs... practically nothing else is worth grabbing.

FORGET THE OBD 2 SWAP using this car's parts.

-this car will be a nightmare as the harness is nothing like the gen 1 harness. (Unless you love rewiring soldering and cussing) for an OBD2 swap your best harness is a 96-97 gen 1/gen 1.5.

-The PCM CANNOT BE USED, as it controls the wrong type of transmission. Prefered PCM for OBD2 swapping a 94-95 W would be the 97 lumina PCM.

Get the adjustable tubular lateral arms.

Your 94 already has the better rear brakes, but you could also do the aluminum rear knuckle swap if you wanted although you would have to figure out something for the parking brake. Here is the writeup: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/46209-Bob-and-Rob-s-Gen-2-Aluminum-Rear-Knuckle-and-Brake-Upgrade.-How-To-with-Pics?highlight=knuckle+swap

My car has a 2nd gen console in it. Fits ok, but I'm not sure if its just bolt in. Paul (pwmin) swapped it when he owned the car so he could tell you what it took.

Edited by jman093

I have a 97+ center console in my 95 GP. I am sure there's several ways to get it to bolt down, took me 5 minutes to come up with a solution. FYI, it is SUPER TIGHT. You will have difficulty sliding the seats back because the seat belt anchor will prevent the seat going all the way back. But ya, the 97+ console is much better than the 95 console.

I had a second gen center console as well in my old bannana. never had to bolt it down as it was such a tight fit. And yes I did the rear knuckle swap with 2nd gen lateral arms and GMPP trailing arms. but chances are the arms on the 01 are probably bent. I had to look through about 7 cars at the yard and collect all 4 arms from different cars to get a complete set that wasnt bent. Not worth getting to swap over so few parts.