'07 GP a little disappointed

npfd

We recently got a '07 GP to replace the Olds. It has the 17" rims.. During the test drive I was really impressed with the car.... mainly on highway and service road. Lately in the city I've noticed that it can get quite rough.... doesn't feel like a luxury car..

Another thing I can never get the seating position right... my lower back does seem to hurt after.. I have some back issues....

we're thinking of making a cushion.... also the rear seats are firm too...

have any of you guys found ways around this?

It was either this or the Impala... but for the Impala had a hard time finding a non rental one...

We recently got a '07 GP to replace the Olds. It has the 17" rims.. During the test drive I was really impressed with the car.... mainly on highway and service road. Lately in the city I've noticed that it can get quite rough.... doesn't feel like a luxury car..

Another thing I can never get the seating position right... my lower back does seem to hurt after.. I have some back issues....

we're thinking of making a cushion.... also the rear seats are firm too...

have any of you guys found ways around this?

It was either this or the Impala... but for the Impala had a hard time finding a non rental one...

GP's are closer to being "sports" cars than luxury cars... though that generation is sort of iffy on design paradigm. It seems more of a mishmash of sport, "luxury", etc. Once they killed Olds they had to do something different.

If you wanted "luxury" you should have gotten a Caddy. Or something foreign.

ya well, not necessarily luxury, just a soft ride.... I thought the base would be fine for that...

I was thinking think, could one always use Impala base struts on a GP?

I know the monroe p/n are not the same....

Edited by npfd

Hi its the 2007 Grand Prix, base with the special edition package.... just squirts and exhaust....

The Impala would ride the same? Would going from 17" (now) to 16" make a difference?

I'm used to the way our 1997 Cutlass Supreme rode... I really thought the base GP, will be close... at least iron out all the small cracks/bumps in pavement while crusing at 40km/h.... I find its the same ride as in compact cars....

I don't think wheel size would make a difference. I have driven cars with 14, 15, 16, and 17 inch wheels and they all seem to ride the same in terms of smoothness. Now I know some cars feel more "springy" and others feel real tight. Just all depends on the car.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents have a 2009 Impala LS that has the 16" rims, that I drive fairly often. I find the ride a little firmer than my 02 Century, but its not "uncomfortable." I have never driven a newer Grand Prix, so I can't really give a comparison..but I also think that the Grand Prix has a stiffer suspension compared to the other w-body cars. I know its true with a 2003 GP I drove a couple weeks ago compared to my Buick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the info..

@Oilpatch - ya newer cars they seem to haze up quite a bit.. annoying..

I've been on the GP forums quite a bit... and there too stiffer springs they say that the GP has...

I'm thinking about changing the springs sometime next year, but I heard the strut spring space is longer than the GP... from Monroe, they said that putting an impala strut may raise the car by 1-2 inches

For now I'm driving on some cushion, seems to have helped...

As for the mish mash of ride,.... its strange, some types of bumps the car will float like the Olds would do, and others it would take it hard.. the Olds was like this too, but to a lesser degree...

Otherwise I like driving it... I'll admit when I first did the few posts I was a bit let down hehe