I said WTF when changing the headlight

Mel87

More trouble than its worth, IMHO. Besides, new sealed beams are $30-$40 a piece. In the long run you'll save a crapload of money with the eurolamps conversion, won't risk breaking a perfectly good and expensive headlight, and can very easily add or remove HIDs at your discretion. Maybe I'm the only one here that values my time, energy and frustration more than a pair of headlights.

All I did with mine was take a hairdryer, turn it to high, heated the glue real good, took a pair of pliers to the clip and GENTLY twisted them out. Cleanedthe glass. Then placed a thin bead of rtv on the lock plate of the 9005/9006 bulb, put the bulb in and added a little extra rtv around the bulb and glass. Put the housing face down over night (about 12 hrs) and voila Silverstar Gold Cutty lights. Seal never went bad either

More trouble than its worth, IMHO. Besides, new sealed beams are $30-$40 a piece. In the long run you'll save a crapload of money with the eurolamps conversion, won't risk breaking a perfectly good and expensive headlight, and can very easily add or remove HIDs at your discretion. Maybe I'm the only one here that values my time, energy and frustration more than a pair of headlights.

It all depends, I don't see how you would save a crapload (:think:) of money if you reuse your old reflector with a new bulb.(unless you are using an overwattaged bulb that needs replacing all the time) if you do that mod, you would save at least 50% upfront, and you would have whatever halogen bulb you wanted.

Other than the removable bulb, and the beam pattern, the only reason to upgrade to a euro lamp, IMHO.(I assume it is E-code?)

Edited by Oilpatch197

It all depends, I don't see how you would save a crapload (:think:) of money if you reuse your old reflector with a new bulb.(unless you are using an overwattaged bulb that needs replacing all the time) if you do that mod, you would save at least 50% upfront, and you would have whatever halogen bulb you wanted.

Other than the removable bulb, and the beam pattern, the only reason to upgrade to a euro lamp, IMHO.(I assume it is E-code?)

Hmm. I meant over time. These housings pay for themselves the first time a bulb goes bad and you're paying $10 for a new bulb instead of $40. And you don't have to cut a seal, risk breaking a $40 bulb housing, or dick around at all. Do you know how long it took me to install these? 5 minutes. Do you know how long it will take me to replace the bulbs, should they ever burn out? Less than 5 minutes. I don't have to not drive my car for 12 hours waiting for the seal to dry...

Hi ive got the same model cutlass and i found a way to separate the part your talking about. I used a small flat head screwdriver to slowly pry the glu free, just till you hear it start to crackle then move to the next spot going all the way around it. Then just twist it til it spins and you should be able to get it off. Just be carful not to break the glass.

I used high temp gasket maker to seal it back up. So far no moisture buildup and the seal is still flexible enough to twist back off when i go to upgrade the bulbs.

Use a twisting motion when prying instead of a back and forth motion.

Edited by rich_e777

OK so the headlight issue was resolved.

About that gorilla glue though -

Acetone might weaken or remove it, but acetone has a tendancy to eat certain types of plastic, so in the future if you find other parts glued together, just mind that acetone might break it loose but what it can do to surrounding plastics/rubber.

about 1/2 the nail polish removers out there are mostly acetone.

Hmm. I meant over time. These housings pay for themselves the first time a bulb goes bad and you're paying $10 for a new bulb instead of $40. And you don't have to cut a seal, risk breaking a $40 bulb housing, or dick around at all. Do you know how long it took me to install these? 5 minutes. Do you know how long it will take me to replace the bulbs, should they ever burn out? Less than 5 minutes. I don't have to not drive my car for 12 hours waiting for the seal to dry...

Well how often a bulb goes out varies, but if your the typical street driver you probably will only replace a bulb, at least once or twice the entire life of the vehicle.(DRL is the exception) It just depends if you drive all the time at night or you drive fast down a gravel road.

In my '92 Buick regal 150,000 miles, it was sporting the original bulbs, all exterior bulbs were original, until that STUPID doe ran in front of my car. I decided to replace all the exterior lamps. Since old bulbs get filament smoke on the inside of the glass and darken over time. I also had some nasty mold growing in one signal lamp, obviously the seal had failed and water droplets were inside of it. I was able to replace all lamps except the tail lamps.

Some people do have the time to dick around. If you are driving in the day, then sure you can mess around. If you are driving at night and just got a few warnings from the local Officers, then yeah ASAP.