90 Turbo GP - OEM sunroof weatherstrip

mannix

The OEM sunroof weatherstrip that goes around the glass itself has recently started to expand and release from the glass itself. After a quick inspection, the separation takes place where both ends meet in the middle, where they connect. Looks like the rubber seal has some metal strip inside that's beginning to rust after all this time. As a result, whenever I open the glass to vent or open completely, it gets stuck, but will release. I'm afraid it will get worse over time, and also worry about water leakage.

Is this a DIY job, or should I take this to a glass repair shop? I would like to try this fix myself, but I don't know who would even carry a weatherstrip replacement for our Turbo GP's.

mine was a diy job. I just took two steel coupons and after cleaning everything completely off and scraping the glass with razor blade and stuff, used some real strong glue and pooped it up real good with that. then I took the metal coupons, just basically metal strips that won't bend while clamping them down. with the sunroof popped up, clamp one on bottom and one on top with c-clamps and let dry. it should hold if the glue was good enough and surfaces clean enough.

i was gonna stop by safelite and see if they could replace it or somethin

The weatherstrip part number is in the "common part numbers" thread in the General section @ the TGPForums. I'm not sure if GM still has them, but other places that sell older GM parts should.

I gave it a shot this past weekend, and after starting to clean the area, the metal inside the weatherstrip is so rusted, it's going to be difficult to get the rubber to stick to the glass. The rusted metal has actually made the rubber swollen and deformed about 1.5" inches from each end. I will try again this coming weekend, and try to remove the metal inside the weatherstrip seal.

just leave the metal in there possibly? I would just pull the weatherstrip off about 6 to 8 inches each side, clean and reglue it without taking too much metal structure off. it won't matter as long as you prep it real good it should smash down into the original shape. use some alcohol to remove oil, grease and moisture before glueing it.