Just an Alternator or Something More/Else?

pwmin

For some time now my car has been showing the ABS lights (Trac Off, ANTI-LOCK, SVS, and BRAKE). It was very intermittent a while ago, but has been increasing in frequency where now about every other time I start the car they're on. Before I would shut off and restart and they'd be gone for a week and I'd have to look for stored instead of current codes, but now it comes on a lot. A couple times it was the security light, but I haven't seen that in a couple months.

codes:

C1236 Low System Voltage

C1278 LF ESB will not hold motor ???

C1286 EBCM/EBTCM turned on the red brake warning indicator

U1300 Class 2 Data Link Low

It's reading about 11.5-12.0 Volts normal, 10.5 V under load and 13.0-13.5 V while running. I really wish this thing had a voltage gauge instead of a dummy light. It's enough that everything works fine still, but I don't want it to totally crap out on me and leave me stranded. Damn brakes are squeaking again, too. Maybe time for rotors. The Centric pads got rid of the noise for a while, but it's back.

It's reading about 11.5-12.0 Volts normal,

12.6--12.7 is open circuit voltage for a FULLY CHARGED battery.

12.5 is 1/4 discharged.

12.2 is 1/2 dead!

12.0 or less = REAL PROBLEMS. The FIRST thing you need to do is to clean and charge the battery. Best to have the battery tested.

10.5 V under load

What kind of load???

and 13.0-13.5 V while running.

I'd have expected closer to 14--14.2.

My 97 Lumina also has a 13.5 volt charge. The problem you speak off sounds familiar. I used to always get a random ABS light every now and then and it would go away on the next start up. About 4 months later my volts light came on along with the ABS. I quickly drove to the mechanic and the alternator was putting out only 11 volts, alternator died and I had it replaced. Do you hear any whine from the serpentine area? How many miles does your car have and have you ever changed the alternator. That part is going to go bad atleast once in a cars life through my experience.

I'm a bit confused if it's fine or not. I thought it should be 14 w/ it running (I thought 13.8-14.3 was the normal spec)...I can check my mom's 01 and see what hers is putting out. "Load" is using a carbon pile battery load tester. I do want to upgrade the factory wiring but I just don't have the time right now.

My 97 Lumina also has a 13.5 volt charge. The problem you speak off sounds familiar. I used to always get a random ABS light every now and then and it would go away on the next start up. About 4 months later my volts light came on along with the ABS. I quickly drove to the mechanic and the alternator was putting out only 11 volts, alternator died and I had it replaced. Do you hear any whine from the serpentine area? How many miles does your car have and have you ever changed the alternator. That part is going to go bad atleast once in a cars life through my experience.
I only hear ps and sc whine. I have no idea ...I'd have to check the alternator to see if it's original or not. I've only had this car for a bit over half a year...it's at 149k right now. Edited by pwmin

I would have the battery tested as well just to make sure everything's up to par.

FWIW adding in a run of wire from the alt to the battery or your aux post won't take long at all. If you want I can take pics of mine so you see how it's done.

I did as a matter of fact, and got 14.7 running, with 15+ cold.

I'm not sure how you managed that. I'd have expected the alternator to be regulated to 14.2--14.3 or close to it.

I thought it should be 14 w/ it running (I thought 13.8-14.3 was the normal spec)...

That's what I'd have said.

10.5 V under load
"Load" is using a carbon pile battery load tester.

Completely meaningless unless you measured the amperage draw. You can add enough load with a carbon pile to drop the volts to 5 or 6 (or lower); or have so little load that the voltage is over 12.

I would have the battery tested as well just to make sure everything's up to par.

FWIW adding in a run of wire from the alt to the battery or your aux post won't take long at all. If you want I can take pics of mine so you see how it's done.

I'm sure I could figure it out...I've done upgrades on both my old GP's, but a pic would be good.