Possible front Koni shocks for 1st gen's

jman093

I mentioned this briefly in conversation in the W/E thread, but figured it deserves a thread in case anyone wants to try it since performance options are nonexistant for us. I believe Koni shock 8610-1437 will work in a 1st gen. It's a single-adjustable from their race line and you pay $$$ for that kind of shock. I had these lying in the garage and noticed its basically the same size as a blown GR2 cartridge, I replaced. At this time, I have not tried to install it in the front to say for sure, but I don't see why they wouldn't. The Koni is 1/8" a taller body, but that shouldn't be a problem with the thread on cap. I cannot tell a visible difference in body diamater. The Koni has a shorter shaft from top of body to the mount, but less travel isn't going to hurt anything and is nice for a lowered car. It also has a taller threaded section of the shaft which is nice to be able to reach the adjuster. Here's a comparison pic from a crappy laptop:

IMG000037.jpg

Edited by jman093

Im looking into running their 8611 double adjustable ones.

~$300 though:lol:

I want to use the slightly shorter ones and have the strut housing cut and re-threaded. But before I do anything I gotta make sure I can find a machine shop to rethread the housing.

Im looking into running their 8611 double adjustable ones.

~$300 though:lol:

I want to use the slightly shorter ones and have the strut housing cut and re-threaded. But before I do anything I gotta make sure I can find a machine shop to rethread the housing.

That.....would be sweet, but the 2nd adjustment being on the bottom of the shock would require a hole drilled in the bottom of the strut housing. That might be PIA getting the adjustment tool or whatever between the CV shaft and the housing and getting it adjusted right.

My thoughts exactly. However two adjustments are better than one:lol:

Right now im thinking of ordering a single adjustable in to test fit. Get it through Summit so easy return if it wont work. Its the 8610-1436 with a 11.42" body length vs the one you have which is 13.06" body length.

Wait, if you already have a pair of them, why not toss them in??

My thoughts exactly. However two adjustments are better than one:lol:

Right now im thinking of ordering a single adjustable in to test fit. Get it through Summit so easy return if it wont work. Its the 8610-1436 with a 11.42" body length vs the one you have which is 13.06" body length.

Wait, if you already have a pair of them, why not toss them in??

Because I keep telling myself I'm going to get the rears threaded and stick them on the rear coilovers. That and I'm waiting for you now to report back now whether the double adjustable set up is working alright first. :lol: